Q. Is it fine to have immediate denture over implant for a month to promote healing?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

What are the ramifications if you lose 20 pounds with new dental implants? I have lost seven pounds since this month. Also, having immediate dentures over implants, my dentist gave me a water pik and said it is fine to leave the immediate dentures in for a month while my extraction area is healing. I am worried that it is too long and infection could set in. Lastly, she also said having a few drinks was fine. Is it so? They are mini implants I had put in (six of them) with new immediate upper dentures.

#

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern.

Regarding weight loss with respect to the dental Implants, I do not see any reason from your query that could lead to the weight loss. Dental implants do not lead to weight loss. However, what I could comprehend from your query is that you have been too much thinking about the weight loss due to implants which has set in the anxiety complex in you. Anxiety might be a cause of weight loss. And in response for the immediate dentures, yes they can be kept for weeks and if kept clean for even some months. Immediate dentures are fabricated in such a way that they enable the healing of the extraction site and will not lead to any discrepancies during the fabrication of the implants. They protect and preserve the bone where the implants are to be inserted.

Regarding infection to the extraction site, there should not be any infection as long as you keep the mouth hygiene good and clean regularly as advised by your dentist. If you feel any pain or discomfort, then you can approach your dentist for the same. However, that is unlikely if you maintain good oral hygiene. Also, the alcohol or drinks as you call, if you have done your extraction within a week, I would advise you not having an alcoholic drink but if the extraction is done past a week, then I can allow you for a drink or two but not too much as the extraction site would not have healed properly and could lead to the insult of the injury causing pain and discomfort.

However, I guess your dentist has done a good job as I can understand from your query. I would just say that you follow your dentist’s advice and visit her on the scheduled date.

|