Q. I cry almost every night and I am paranoid. Is there any chance that I have depression?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Published on Aug 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2018

I am a 14 year old boy. I usually live by routine, but whenever I find free time, I usually become very sad until I cry. This happens almost every night before I sleep. Yesterday night, I thought of going out with my friends, until one friend said he was going to watch a movie with his parents and the other friend said he was going to pack for a vacation. I got super paranoid thinking that they were hanging out behind my back and I ended up crying myself to sleep. I take no medication. Is there any chance that I have depression?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

You have mentioned that you are experiencing low mood, crying spells, and paranoid thoughts.

You are not in a depression. Teenagers might experience certain mood swings due to hormonal changes in the body. You are going through the same.

With the mentioned symptoms, you cannot be diagnosed as having depression. The incident you quoted is related to your feelings of sadness and low self-esteem and might be due to loneliness.

Suggestions to overcome this:

1. To cherish your mood, you need to focus on your interests and other activities.
  2. Rather than getting into thoughts, it is better to channel out your emotions. For that, you may try writing a diary.
  3. Share your thoughts with a close one (friend, family member or counselor) on a regular basis to avoid repetitive thoughts.
  4. Include physical exercise in your daily routine as it will soothe you and make you feel relaxed and will induce sleep.
  5. Have healthy eating habits by including green salads, water, fresh fruit juices in your diet.
  6. Avoid junk food and carbonated drinks.
  7. Try to take at least 30 minutes of walk before going to bed.
  8. Make plans with your friends beforehand to avoid similar situations in the future.

For further follow up, consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/online-psychiatrist-psychotherapy-counseling

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

I have crying spells and I get angry easily. Are these symptoms of depression?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going through a mental breakdown. I give up on everything very easily. If I am at home, I tend to cry a lot thinking about my future. I am scared that my future is going to be bad. I try making up myself and getting strong. I get angry immediately and hurt others verbally and the...  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now