Q. I feel sad and depressed. I get a lot of negative thoughts. Please help me.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am a 21 year old male. I feel quite sad and depressed. I do not even want to perform daily routine. My life is monotonous. I get a lot of negative thoughts. I am so lazy and feel like I do not want to live. I am weak and I lack concentration. I do not feel like going out of my house. Suggest treatment for the same.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Symptoms that are commonly present in a depressed patient are:

• Sad mood.
  • Disturbance of sleep.
  • Disturbance of appetite.
  • Feeling of inappropriate guilt.
  • Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities.
  • Loss of self-esteem.
  • Hopelessness or worthlessness.
  • Loss of attention or/and concentration.
  • Ideas of self-harm.
  • Psychomotor retardation (decreased activity).

You are having almost all the symptoms of depression.

Depression is the main problem for you. You need more focus on raising the mood and concentration with the help of medication.

Antidepressants are very effective in such kind of symptoms and patients show improvement within a period of two weeks after starting the adequate dose of prescribed medication.

If other than these symptoms you are having additional symptoms like hearing voices that others are not able to hear, seeing objects that are not visible to others and feeling suspicious out of proportion, then there is a possibility of depression with psychotic features of schizophrenia.

You need immediate treatment before irreparable damage occurs to the brain.

At this stage do the following:

• Do not use any substance of abuse like alcohol, smoking, heroin etc.
  • Remain active as far as possible.
  • Take adequate time for relaxation.
  • Talk to near and dear ones who can understand your problem.
  • Practice meditation and yoga.

|