Q. What is the infection on the outside of penis with white, flaky spots?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have developed some sort of an infection on the outside of my penis. It has been a little over a week and there are white, flaky spots now. Can you please advice?

#

I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area so that I can have a look and guide you better.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached a couple of pictures of the affected area. Please have a look and guide me further.

#

I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like eczematous dermatitis as it has dry, red, and flaky patches. Is it itchy? Do you have similar patches or itching elsewhere? I suggest you apply a topical moderately potent steroid cream e.g., Fluticasone Propionate 0.05 % cream (Flutivate cream), twice daily for two to four weeks. In addition, I suggest you take an oral antihistamine e.g., Cetirizine 10 mg tablet once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicines with their consent.

It does not feel itchy and I do not have any patches or itching anywhere else. I am worried about it being a yeast or fungal infection. So, do you think there is a chance of that being the case? If not, would you recommend any other medication besides the topical skin cream?

#

It could be a fungal infection but it does not look like that. I suggest you get a KOH (potassium hydroxide) scrapping test from the scaly patches by a private lab. If it is positive, then it is a fungal infection. However, if negative, then it is most likely eczematous dermatitis. In case it is later, I suggest you use the above-mentioned cream and tablet. You may follow with me regarding the KOH scrapping test report and if it is positive then I will guide you for further management.

|