Q. What is dermographism? Is that similar to hives?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 02, 2019

I went to a dermatologist last week, and she told me that I have dermographism. It started last month. How long does it take to go away? I have little bumps in my stomach such as hives, just like a pimple. I have a doubt, can hives pop like a little simple bump or only occur in clusters? I just wanted to know some information about the condition.

#

I have read about your query. Your condition can be acute urticaria/ hives. It usually presents with itching.

Dermographism (dermatographism) is an exaggerated urticarial response which is also called skin writing. It is usually seen in young adults with a fair complexion and it disappears in 6-8 hours.

It usually gets off course as the age progresses and it is just of a cosmetic concern. Usually, dermographism does not give any symptoms and usually has a trigger like stick injury, pressure, etc.

Complete blood count with differential count and IgE.

1. Acute urticaria.
2. Dermographism.

1. Antihistaminics like Fexofenadine, Levocetirizine.
2. A moisturizer can be applied.
3. If it does not come down, then you can take a week of low dose steroid like Prednisolone 5 mg in the morning before food.

|