Q. What is dermographism? Is that similar to hives?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
Published on Oct 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 02, 2019

I went to a dermatologist last week, and she told me that I have dermographism. It started last month. How long does it take to go away? I have little bumps in my stomach such as hives, just like a pimple. I have a doubt, can hives pop like a little simple bump or only occur in clusters? I just wanted to know some information about the condition.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

I have read about your query. Your condition can be acute urticaria/ hives. It usually presents with itching.

Dermographism (dermatographism) is an exaggerated urticarial response which is also called skin writing. It is usually seen in young adults with a fair complexion and it disappears in 6-8 hours.

It usually gets off course as the age progresses and it is just of a cosmetic concern. Usually, dermographism does not give any symptoms and usually has a trigger like stick injury, pressure, etc.

Complete blood count with differential count and IgE.

1. Acute urticaria.
2. Dermographism.

1. Antihistaminics like Fexofenadine, Levocetirizine.
2. A moisturizer can be applied.
3. If it does not come down, then you can take a week of low dose steroid like Prednisolone 5 mg in the morning before food.

Please suggest homeopathy medicine for urticaria.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with having urticaria (burning, itching sensations throughout the body from head to toe). It started out in an acute way but is turning out to be chronic. It has been more than two and a half months and I am still suffering from it...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my skin itching with welts and hives? How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I have this skin problem that I first noticed before three years. My skin will itch like crazy and break out into welts and hives. The symptoms will last for a few hours then go away. Some days I experience more than two outbreaks. The itching, bumps, and hives most likely appear after I...  Read Full »

My wife has urticaria. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has been getting a rash which the doctor has termed as urticaria. What could have caused this? I feel she could be having a yeast intolerance. Please help.  Read Full »