Urticaria, otherwise called hives, is a type of skin rash that develops when some triggers release histamine. Some of the common triggers are certain food items, medications, infections, fever, dust mites, pollen, sunlight, and latex.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can I take Xolair for urticaria?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been suffering from preliminary chronic urticaria for unknown causes for the last 13 years. It is not responding to antihistamine treatment for the past six years. Sometimes, it gets as severe as I have to use Corticosterone injection (Diprofos). All blood analysis showed no cause....  Read Full »

Dr. Chaitra Prakash


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Chronic idiopathic urticaria is a type of urticaria (wheals). It is a disturbing illness and difficult to manage. Most urticaria patients benefit from prolonged antihistamines and some may require immune suppressing drugs like Cyclosporine t...  Read Full »

How to get rid of hives and bumps occuring during hot season?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 17-year-old female. I believe that I have hives on my thighs. I have them for about five to six days and they appear whenever the area gets hot. I was using a blanket last night and the hives got red again but when it is cold, they are not red and appear to be my skin color. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks that you are suffering from acute urticaria. This could happen as a result of an allergic reaction to blanket dust or furs in it. There are other causes as well. Is this the first episode? Or you get them frequently? Any history of diabetes or thyroid? Any h...  Read Full »

Can you transmit skin infection by coming in contact with them?

Query: Hello,This is not an average question but I hope someone may help me. A few months ago I have been diagnosed with atypical dermatitis. My simptoms were red spots regularly appearing and disappearing. They were not itchy except (slightly) on the scalp and forefront. Shower was exacerbating the sympt...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap


Answer: hi the type of description of your reasons it appears that you are having hives or urticaria. it is a slightly raised red or white lesion which occur on the skin and disappear on its on after few minutes or hours this occur due to allergy to some internal or external agent that maybe water, in case...  Read Full »

Why does my skin allergy not heal fully and keeps itching?

Query: I have developed some skin allergy on my back and it itches a lot and sometimes uncontrollably. The allergy is fading but the burning and itching is still there. The affected skin area has got rough and it feels weird also. For the past year I have realized that all my wounds never recover fully ...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap


Answer: Hi this type of allergy is occurs in some genetic diseases .. during the healing process there is increased formation of some cells which release histamine chemical cause itching this is a very resistant condition but you try following treatment. I want to know since when you are having such sympt...  Read Full »

I feel itchy after a sweat episode or taking bath. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, When it is hot I feel itchy after taking a bath. This feeling can last for around 15 minutes. I also feel itchy when I start to sweat but when I sweat a lot after some times the itchiness decreases. I also feel uncomfortable at night sometimes. Using a fan just makes the itchiness much...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are actually suffering from aquagenic urticaria. Such patients are actually allergic to water content and or temperature changes lead to histamine release thus itching. This condition is most of the time very resistant to treatment. Only treatment is that you take ...  Read Full »

What could cause sudden rashes in body and neck at least once in a week?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. My weight is 82 kg. I have sudden rashes on my body and back of the neck. I get this at least once in a week. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from urticaria. Since you have not mentioned the duration to say it is acute or chronic. It is of two types exogenous and endogenous. If you can pinpoint any cause like eatable or after wearing some clothes or any contact it is exogenous you have to av...  Read Full »

Please explain about my lipid profile and ultrasound test results.

Query: Hi doctor, 1. I recently had full body health checkup. I am uploading the reports. Can you please review and suggest me required medical care or treatment? It seems lipid profile and ultrasound reports are not satisfactory. Please review and advice. 2. And one more thing is I am suffering from urt...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are having grade 1 fatty liver. You are also having elevated cholesterol which justifies fatty liver. So you need start lipid lowering ...  Read Full »

I have hyperthyroidism with joint pain and hives. Are these typical symptoms of lupus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hyperthyroidism. I also have tendonitis in both my shoulders. I have been having joint pain for years and I work a lot of physical jobs. Lots of bending, kneeling, lifting and twisting. I hang my hands quite a bit as well. I have been getting hives for the last two months, I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta


Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the hives do go in favor of urticaria. It can be a part of lupus or can be independent as well. But usually, it is an autoimmune process triggered by some allergen (it is possible it is detergent in your case). But the joint pains you have do not really point towa...  Read Full »

My partner is allergic to dust and develops small itchy red rashes in her hands. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to you in connection with my partner’s allergic reaction which happens when we are together. Basically she is already allergic to dust and has atopy on her right hand since she was a child (now she is 23 and I am 27), which is sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker bu...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have described your partner's problem very nicely. She is suffering from chronic urticaria. Urticaria is an allergic reaction that takes the form of itchy red bumps on the skin as shown in your pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Name any...  Read Full »

I get occasional angioedema with chronic urticaria. Will angioedema cause anaphylaxis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I was just diagnosed with chronic urticaria. I went to an allergic specialist for skin testing because my skin was so sensitive I reacted to everything. They then did the RAST test on me. Everything came out class 0 except for egg white, wheat, and oats bein...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. RAST is a highly accurate test. If the test is positive for a specific allergen, it shows that you are sensitized to that particular allergen. This means that you may mount an allergic response when you are exposed to that allergen. However, it does not mean that yo...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.