Q. My father is a diabetic with high creatinine levels. Please recommend diet plan for him.

Dr. Safina Mithani

My father is recently diagnosed with diabetes along with high creatinine level. I need a therapeutic diet plan for a week according to the condition.

#

Please let me know the current weight and height of your father, also his present age, his blood sugar levels, and any other lab reports. Also, please do let me know whether you are vegetarian or nonvegetarian and his daily meal pattern with timings.

He is 54 years old, with the average gait. His weight is 84 kg and his height 5.6 feet. His recent sugar levels were 203 mg/dl. The point of concern is his increased creatinine the level that was 1.23 mg/dl. We are non-vegetarian. We basically have three major meals breakfast is around 9.30 AM, lunch around 2 PM, and dinner roughly around 10 PM with evening snacks around 6 PM. I am attaching his recent blood reports.

#

I will give a diet plan to be followed, ask him to follow for a month and check back his creatinine level. Most time creatinine levels also increases due to dehydration, ask him to keep a watch on his fluid levels. As all other levels are in range, this could be the probable reason for his elevated level. Is he on any cholesterol controlling, diabetes or BP medications? As per his height his weight should be around 70 kg.

Plan:

Early morning he can have Chamomile and cinnamon tea or nettle herb tea one cup.

For breakfast, alternatively he can have one egg per day with two small rotis. On other days, oats, wheat flakes with one cup milk + half apple or onion poha one plate or vegetarian upma one small plate.

In the mid morning one apple, guava, and pear.

For lunch take two small whole wheat roti + alternate with chicken 150 g (two small piece) + yoghurt raita, or veg gravy one small bowl + thin dal in a small bowl + a bowl of salad + rice half a bowl.

For evening, take black or green tea one cup without sugar. + a small bowl of roasted chana, sprout bhel, corn chaat.

For dinner one bowl veg soup + two small rotis + veg gravy + salad + dal or raita.

Take one cup milk without sugar at bedtime.

Recommendations:

1. Make sure he meets fluid level of at least 1.5 l/day.

2. Avoid sugary, bakery, fried, and ready to eat products.

3. Avoid meat.

4. Try to keep a gap of 40 - 45 minutes between sleep and last meal.

5. Everyday do brisk walk for 35 to 40 minutes.

6. Avoid fruit juices, and eat whole fruits.

Be smart while shopping, check for sodium and sugar levels per 100 g, it should not exceed 5% dv.

Do follow up, after 15 days.

Low protein, DM diet plan.

|