Q. Will elevated creatinine and lipase levels indicate risk of multiorgan failure in diabetics?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

My husband is a type 2 diabetic. As he is a hotelier, the working hours are stressful for him. He has no time for exercise. Also, his meal timings are very odd. He takes his lunch at around 2:30 pm in the hotel cafeteria. And, usually takes his dinner at 12:00 am - 12:30 am at home. He takes Glimy 2 before breakfast and Janumet 50/1000 post breakfast and after dinner. Since his triglycerides are high, he has been taking Stanlip 145.

His sugar levels are fine now with HbA1c at 6.74. But, the recent kidney tests show higher levels of serum creatinine at 1.7. Also, his amylase and lipase values are significantly high with amylase at 86.4 and lipase at 98.5. He is just 32 and has been a diabetic for seven years. A general physician says that the elevated levels of creatinine and lipase indicate the risk of the organs malfunction. Also, he says that Glimy 2 and Janumet are to be blamed for the harm. What should we do to protect the vitality of the kidney and pancreas? Kindly guide.

#

Well, I do not think elevated creatinine is due to medications. It is most likely due to diabetes itself. But elevated lipase is due to high triglycerides (apart from high triglycerides, alcohol intake can also cause elevated lipase). For the protection of pancreas, his triglycerides have to be controlled. When was his triglyceride tested and what is the value? He needs to do exercise daily. As of his kidney is concerned his medicine Janumet 50/1000 has to be stopped and instead he can use tablet Galvus 50 mg (Vildagliptin) two times a day. He should avoid pain killers and inform the doctor that his creatinine his on the higher side before any doctor prescribes any medications. Repeat serum creatinine after one month and revert back with reports.

|