Q. What can be done for high HbA1c in a pregnant woman?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am a 25-year-old lady about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. My HbA1c is 12. What should I do?

#

According to diabetes guidelines, the patient should have strict diabetic control pre-pregnancy. It is better to have a strict diabetic diet and sugar levels within the normal range and have HbA1c less than 6. Frankly speaking, I feel that during conception, less than 6 or 5 would be better but at 10, it is advised not to conceive but I think after conception it would have increased. As with high sugar levels, more chances of congenital anomalies in the fetus are there, most popular is heart defects.

The baby could have diabetes and could grow fast due to sugar levels imbalance and can be large for the gestational age. It can have stillbirth, difficult delivery, intrauterine death, etc. Please contact maternal medicine consultant obstetrician and discuss your detailed history and treatment till now. In pregnancy, Insulin is preferred over oral medications. Have a strict diabetic diet, daily walk, yoga, or mild exercises. Try to have strict monitoring of fetus as well as your sugar levels. Things could be well only with strict diabetic treatment and precautions for the whole pregnancy.

|