Q. What can be done for high HbA1c in a pregnant woman?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Oct 04, 2018

I am a 25-year-old lady about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. My HbA1c is 12. What should I do?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

According to diabetes guidelines, the patient should have strict diabetic control pre-pregnancy. It is better to have a strict diabetic diet and sugar levels within the normal range and have HbA1c less than 6. Frankly speaking, I feel that during conception, less than 6 or 5 would be better but at 10, it is advised not to conceive but I think after conception it would have increased. As with high sugar levels, more chances of congenital anomalies in the fetus are there, most popular is heart defects.

The baby could have diabetes and could grow fast due to sugar levels imbalance and can be large for the gestational age. It can have stillbirth, difficult delivery, intrauterine death, etc. Please contact maternal medicine consultant obstetrician and discuss your detailed history and treatment till now. In pregnancy, Insulin is preferred over oral medications. Have a strict diabetic diet, daily walk, yoga, or mild exercises. Try to have strict monitoring of fetus as well as your sugar levels. Things could be well only with strict diabetic treatment and precautions for the whole pregnancy.

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from gestational diabetes mellitus without any doubt. As per IADPSG criteria (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group) and DIPSI criteria (The Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group India) both makes you overt diabetic. T...  Read Full

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HbA1c will give us information about your blood sugar in the past three months whereas RBS (random blood sugar) will get us information about the previous day. Therefore, HbA1c is more reliable than of RBS. The HbA1c level needs to be less than 6 to be considered as...  Read Full

My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other su...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have controlled your diabetes quite well. I would suggest that you take tablet Glimisave (Glimepiride) M2 once in the morning and tablet Glimisave M1 once at night. Your diabetes is not gone, but...  Read Full