Q. What can be done for high HbA1c in a pregnant woman?

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hba1c or Diabetes During Pregnancy? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Uzma Arqam
DIPLOMA IN WOMEN 'S HEALTH FROM ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIENS IRELAND ., DIPLOMA IN GYNNAE AND OBSTETRICS FROM
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

According to diabetes guidelines, the patient should have strict diabetic control pre-pregnancy. It is better to have a strict diabetic diet and sugar levels within the normal range and have HbA1c less than 6. Frankly speaking, I feel that during conception, less than 6 or 5 would be better but at 10, it is advised not to conceive but I think after conception it would have increased. As with high sugar levels, more chances of congenital anomalies in the fetus are there, most popular is heart defects.

The baby could have diabetes and could grow fast due to sugar levels imbalance and can be large for the gestational age. It can have stillbirth, difficult delivery, intrauterine death, etc. Please contact maternal medicine consultant obstetrician and discuss your detailed history and treatment till now. In pregnancy, Insulin is preferred over oral medications. Have a strict diabetic diet, daily walk, yoga, or mild exercises. Try to have strict monitoring of fetus as well as your sugar levels. Things could be well only with strict diabetic treatment and precautions for the whole pregnancy.

Had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. How to control my sugar levels now?
Query: Hello doctor, I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I controlled it through diet. I delivered a boy baby. Three days after the delivery, my sugar levels were checked, and they were found to be normal. Yesterday, I checked again and found my fasting blood su...  Read Full »
Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can take seven to eight weeks for your sugar levels to become normal. Your fasting sugar is normal, but your postprandial is a little high. Do not take only rice in your diet. Try to take a complete food. This will not affect the baby's digestion. I suggest you cont...  Read Full »

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »
Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full »

My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other su...  Read Full »
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have controlled your diabetes quite well. I would suggest that you take tablet Glimisave (Glimepiride) M2 once in the morning and tablet Glimisave M1 once at night. Your diabetes is not gone, but...  Read Full »

Is it possible to cure my respiratory allergy and throat infection with some medicine?
Can inhaling enamel paint residual fumes cause health issues?
Arthritis in Its Many Forms

Also Read Answers From