Q. Can viral infection cause gas and constipation?

Dr. Kunal Das

My mother, 66 years old, is having some discomfort in the upper abdomen. She has been experiencing some gas and tightness in the upper abdomen for two days. Her stools are a little constipated, but she is going every day. She has had a fever between 99 to 100 degrees F for two days. She feels uncomfortable, especially after eating. Please advise. She is diabetic and hypertensive. We showed her to a doctor who has advised her to take Medomol 500 mg and Rabez DSR twice a day for five days. But there is a lot of foul-smelling gas, and why is the fever still there? Will she need some antibiotics? She is also taking Glycomet-GP 3/850 tablets, Voglibose 0.3 mg, Telmisat AM 5 mg, Alzolam 0.5 mg, Nexito 10 mg, and Fibator 5 mg.

#

Thanks for your query. Since your mother is suffering from fever, she may be having problems with gas, etc. Also, I see that she is diabetic, so gastroparesis may also be a problem. I suggest she take Rifaximin 550 mg for seven days and syrup Aristozyme (Diastase 50 mg and Pepsin 10 mg) two teaspoons twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medicines with their consent. This should help her. Just monitor her fever; if it is more than 100 F, please get her re-evaluated by a doctor.

Could it be some viral infection because, in the morning, she is better? She is uncomfortable in the afternoon, especially after lunch, and fever also comes in the afternoon.

#

It could be a viral fever. I suggest you give tablet Paracetamol 500 mg when fever is more than 100 F. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent.

|