Q. My cousin feels drowsy, and his head spins after taking medicines for depression. What to do?

Dr. Prashant Gohil
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

My 22 year old cousin has been feeling depressed, easily irritable, and anxious for past few months. He also smokes 5 to 6 cigarettes per day. We consulted a psychiatrist last week, and he prescribed some medicines. After taking these medications he is feeling drowsy, and he says that his head spins. He is in general discomfort. I have enclosed the prescription of the doctor. The doctor says these side effects are normal. Please answer the following questions. What is the purpose of these three medicines? Should he continue taking them? Are there any other substitutes that you can suggest for these three medicines having the same salt but different manufacturer?

#

I have seen the attached prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The medicines which are prescribed for your cousin are antidepressants, mood stabilizer, and multivitamins.

As you have told that your cousin is feeling depressed, irritable, and anxious, to make a proper diagnosis, I need more details about his symptoms. However, he may be having either plain depression, were getting irritable is a rare presentation and the second diagnosis is bipolar disorder.

Coming to the questions that you have asked:

1. The first medicine is prescribed for depression and anxiety disorder. The second one is usually prescribed for mood disorder also known as bipolar disorder, and the third is multivitamin.
  2. If your cousin is having depression with anxiety, and if this is the first episode, then these medicines should be continued at least for a year. If it is recurrent, then they should be continued for the lifetime.
  3. Yes, there are better substitutes available, his discomforts can be due to the first medicine. You have asked for the same salt but different manufacturer. However, I would recommend changing it to tablet Nexito 10 mg (Escitalopram).

You can stop other medicines, but only after consulting your treating psychiatrist. His discomfort seems due to the salt itself, and not because of the manufacturer.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|