Q. My gums and lips are swollen, and I have chest pains after using Orajel. Why?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

The roof of my mouth and my gums around my upper front teeth are swollen for a few days no. I used Orajel, took some OTC pain medicines, rinsed with salt and water, and took a nap. When I woke up a couple of hours later, my lips were super swollen, and my gums are even more inflamed. I am also having chest pains, and it hurts when I breathe. Please help.

#

I was going through your history. It seemed to be gingivitis in the first part, but later it felt that you somehow initiated an allergic reaction. I would advise:

1. Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg (Incidal) one tablet and continue twice a day for two days with or without food.
  2. Betadine mouthwash ( Povidone-iodine 2% ), gargle in lukewarm water two to three times a day.

An allergic reaction might be triggered by certain foods, drugs, or airborne irritants. It might be triggered due to Orajel as Benzocaine (Anbesol) in it might not suit, and oxygen level might get low( Methemoglobinemia). If any breathing difficulties, kindly get emergency medical help or rush to your nearest hospital.

|