Q. What are the tiny black dots that came up after gallbladder surgery?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stomach area. Currently, I am taking Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Singulair and Dulera.

#

• Your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are a bit blurred and these are tiny small papules. Are they itchy? There are two to three possibilities. I will mention it one by one.
  • First is drug reaction - As you had undergone surgery, you must be taking many antibiotics and others. There could be drug reaction. Is there any mouth ulcer? Do you have burning sensation in urine? Are there any rashes?
  • Mosquito or insect bite reactions - Sometimes, it happens due to bite reaction. Itching is the main feature. It would remain over body for a week and will disappear away slowly.
  • Chemical reaction - Could be due to antiseptic chemical applied during operation. Itching and redness would be the main feature, but its possibilities are less.
  • It seems that chance of drug reaction is more than the other.
  • You have to discuss with your doctors and rule out it. You can change the medicine after consulting with your doctor.

Revert back with the asked details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|