Drug Reaction

What causes color blindness?

Query: Hi doctor, Can color blindness gets generated by means of other issue or problem except birth? Is there any remedy for it?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there are other causes in which color vision could get affected other than congenital or birth causes. Optic nerve damage manifest with abnormal color vision. There may me optic neuritis (inflammation of optic nerve most commonly related to multiple sclerosis), opti...  Read Full »

I have body shivering with rashes on my hands and legs. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I have rashes over hands and legs. They are not red rashes, but more like insect bites. I also have swelling especially on the feet. My doctor has prescribed Benadryl anti-allergy tablet. I am also experiencing shivering when body is feeling hot. What am I lookin...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the query quoted it appears to be a case of fever with rash the etiology of which is vast. It can be infective, allergic, immunological, drug induced, etc. You need to be specific with details like onset, duration, progression, nature of the rash, whether ...  Read Full »

How far is it safe to open the capsule and take it as divided doses?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question with respect to Doxypal DL medicine and my question is whether the delayed release remains active when I would open a capsule to remove half of the pellets. The capsules are 100 mg, and I would like to take 50 mg, but I need the delayed release to remain working bec...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The delayed-release capsule contains the active drug (Doxycycline) and few other excipients that slowly release the active drug from it. So, the active drug is mixed with the excipients and put into the capsule. So, if you divide the capsule into equal half, it still...  Read Full »

Why did I get tiny black dots on the body after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I had acute pancreatitis, which resulted in gallbladder surgery. Two weeks post operation; I have noticed tiny black dots appearing on my body. Now it has spread, some are raised and some are flat. Should I be concerned? What are they? I have attached the picture of my stom...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are a bit blurred and these are tiny small papules. Are they itchy? There are two to three possibilities. I will mention it one by one. First is drug reaction - As you had undergone surgery, you must be taki...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine to stop vision problem from antipsychotic medicine.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38-year-old woman with bipolar disorder. I am taking Abilify 10 mg. I am experiencing vision issues (not blindness) that come every other day and stop only when I sleep. I used to take Artane for my vision problem that was caused by psychotic medicines, but Artane interacts wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So I understand that you are having ocular side effects with the use of abilify. There are a few ways to go about it. As you have mentioned that you are stable on the medication and functional, I would advise you to consult an opthalmologist and get a checkup done a...  Read Full »

Medicated 3 month old with Paraxin instead of Phexin. Will it cause any harm?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3 months old. He had a cold and cough. Doctor prescribed Phexin syrup 5 ml for three days. But at the medical shop, the pharmacist has given Paraxin 120 ml which I did not crosscheck again with the prescription and gave it to my son. His stools are dark green, and he is very...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Paraxin contains Chloramphenicol, and it can cause loose motion, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Your baby might be cranky for the same reason. It can lead to other side effects if given in high doses, particularly on blood cell production. Please let me know how ma...  Read Full »

Can Zoloft and Propranolol be taken together?

Query: Hello doctor, I took Zoloft and Inderal and noticed some interaction. I would like that to be explained to me. Is it safe to take both Propranolol oral and Sertraline oral at the same time? Will Propranolol oral increase the level or effect of Sertraline by altering drug metabolism?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Inderal (Propranolol) are metabolized through same pathway in the liver. Zoloft reduces the metabolism of Inderal resulting in higher levels of Inderal in the body. What that means for you is that the dose of Inderal should be reduced while you ...  Read Full »

What causes akinetopsia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing inconspicuous akinetopsia, which can be caused by Nefazodone, Risperdal and Trazodone. I take Abilify 10 mg, Trileptal 600 mg twice a day, Luvox 150 mg twice a day and Trazodone 50 g as needed for sleep. Could any of the other medicines can cause akinetopsia? The akine...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Inconspicuous akinetopsia (motion blindness) may be caused due to defects in visual cortex or may be caused by certain antidepressants like Nefazodone and its older sibling Trazodone and hallucinogens like LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide). It is very unlikely to be cause...  Read Full »

Can Coumadin be replaced with Aspirin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 91 years old. She is currently taking 4.5 mg of Coumadin a day. She has developed a very itchy rash on most of her body. She has been on Coumadin for six years, but this dosage is particularly high for her. Her INRs were only showing 1.2 to 1.4, which is why it was increased ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: No, as she was already on Coumadin (Warfarin) since a long time, it cannot be the cause of the rash. Aspirin and Coumadin have different methods of action and one cannot be used in place of another. Both may be used. A prefer...  Read Full »

Can there be any drug reaction between Vigantol and Tavanik in a prostatitis patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am being treated for chronic prostatitis rebounce. It is now the third day I am taking Tavanik (Levofloxacin) 500 mg a day. I am taking it the same time each day among other medications. One of them is Vigantol 1000 I.E. My doctor told me to take Tavanik at least one hour after and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Urologist, Andrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, your doctor had suggested you take Levofloxacin before any other medication as the absorption will be better. Usually, we instruct patients to wait for an hour at least so that the drug can be absorbed. Unless you took both the medication...  Read Full »