Q. Is surgery the only option for grade 3 non-invasive carcinoma in situ in the breast?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

I have non-invasive grade 3 ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) in the breast. There is no previous history of the same, and do not suffer from any symptoms. I had got my mammography and biopsy performed. I am currently taking Orencia injections, Prednisone, Cevimeline, Vyvanse, multivitamins, Zinc, Turmeric, and Mortin 600 mg twice a day.

Since it is a non-invasive type of cancer, can surgery be postponed until it becomes invasive? Why should I have a mutilating procedure performed if it is not needed?

#

It is grade 3 breast cancer. I suggest you get your magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast done to see whether the rest of the breast is normal or not. If the rest of the breast is normal and there is no family history of breast cancer, I suggest you go for a lumpectomy followed by radiation. In case any other suspicious lesion of the breast is seen in the MRI, or there is a family history of breast cancer, then my suggestion is to get the entire breast removed. So, surgery should be done in either case and cannot be postponed.

|