My biopsy report showed granulomatous mastitis. Was the biopsy specimen autolyzed?

Q. My biopsy report showed granulomatous mastitis. Was the biopsy specimen autolyzed?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2023

A wide excision was done last year, and the report showed granulomatous mastitis. How can autolyzed tissue alter the report of biopsy? What do you mean by autolysis? What if the specimen is autolyzed? What would you do?

#

Autolysis means self-digestion of tissue by our own enzymes. To prevent autolysis, the specimen should be transferred to 10% buffered formalin immediately after tissue removal by a surgeon. Formalin fixes the tissue and prevents autolysis, so that tissue preserved in the same stage as that of the living. Here, the specimen might not fully be autolyzed because histopathology report of intraductal carcinoma is given. It is called as ductal carcinoma in situ, which usually does not spread within the normal breast tissue. But sometimes, it can convert into invasive breast carcinoma, so treatment for that should be considered. Simple affected breast tissue removal with wide excision or mastectomy is the management. Discuss about the management plan for ductal carcinoma in situ with your treating surgeon. Hope your concern is solved. Take care.

|