Q. How long should my mom take anticoagulants for DVT?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 02, 2020

My mother is suffering from DVT which was diagnosed just yesterday. I want a second opinion on her treatment and Doppler results. The doctor said that there is no need to admit her in the hospital and he prescribed Rivaroxaban 15 mg twice daily for 21 days along with Ibuprofen 400 mg. Also, injection Enoxaparin Sodium was given. Esomeprazole was given to prevent upset stomach and microfibre cloth stocking was given to wear from morning until bedtime.

I am worried about the amount of clots in her leg. Are the treatment and medications given optimum? How long will she have to take anticoagulant medication? Is she safe from pulmonary embolism now that the treatment has started? How much walk is recommended?

She is also diabetic and hypertensive and takes Glycophage 750 mg and Concor2.5.

Hematology Pathology
#

I can understand your concern. The following are the answers of your asked questions.

Yes, your mother has been put on the best anticoagulant medication. Rivaroxaban and Apixaban are the best anticoagulant oral drugs. Enoxaprin is injectable anticoagulant drug to treat blood clots. So given treatment is the best and optimum.

She needs to take Rivaroxaban for at least three months. Some doctor prefer to use it for six months. After 21 days, Rivaroxaban dose has to be changed to 20 mg once a day.

Pulmonary embolism has to be ruled out by CT (computerized tomography) pulmonary angiography and D-dimer. If it is not developed with medication pulmonary embolism can be prevented. Advise her only mild to moderate degree exercise. Ask her to walk only for 30 minutes maximum.

Additionally, I want to say that her HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is high. So treat her diabetes as well after consulting your doctor.

|