Anticoagulant Therapy

What is your opinion about my father's medication?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had a stroke before 10 years (left hemisensory infarct) and two years ago, he has undergone CABG. Two days back, while walking, he felt some numbness in his right side leg and arm up to the shoulder. It persisted for about half an hour. Now, he is fine. But, when we visited the...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, he can follow the changed schedule. Your doctor has changed plain Aspirin and Clopilet (Clopidogrel) to the combination of Aspirin and Dipyridamole. Dipyridamole is a medicine, which is quite effective in preventing the thrombosis. It is more effective on the coron...  Read Full »

Please comment on the treatment and Doppler result of my mother for DVT.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is suffering from DVT which was diagnosed just yesterday. I want a second opinion on her treatment and Doppler results. The doctor said that there is no need to admit her in the hospital and he prescribed Rivaroxaban 15 mg twice daily for 21 days along with Ibuprofen 400 mg. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. The following are the answers of your asked questions. Yes, your mother has been put on the best anticoagulant medication. Rivaroxaban and Apixaban are the best anticoagulant oral drugs. Enoxaprin is injectable anticoagulant drug to treat...  Read Full »

Is it dangerous to get pregnant with a history of pulmonary embolism?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was 15 years old, I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism with no known causation. I was wondering about my options for pregnancy in the future, rather, if it would be an option. I am currently taking Apixaban twice daily, and I am unsure of when I will stop taking it. My clots have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Happy to hear that you are doing well and it is very wise to be concerned about your future pregnancy. So let me outline a few things for you. Pregnancy itself is a state in which blood clots more than in a non-pregnant person. This is due to an increase in progestero...  Read Full »

How is DVT treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having DVT in my left leg. I had about a year of Warfarin treatment and it was stopped two months back. I had my thrombophilia profile and it shows protein C deficiency. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Protein C deficiency (blood coagulation factor XIV) can be congenital or acquired. Being on Warfarin therapy can show protein C deficiency. However, it should get corrected after two weeks and it has not so if there are no ot...  Read Full »

Does positive factor V cause heavy bleeding and blood clots?

Query: Hi doctor, My factor V Leiden showed a positive outcome before three months. I got Depo birth control shot before three months. I have heavy bleeding and blood clots now. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have factor V Leiden showing a positive result. So you are at high risk for developing blood clots in various organs of the body especially in the lungs and leg as pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. If you have major clots occurring in the future, then blo...  Read Full »

Can I eat avocado if I am taking blood thinners?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Sintrom, but I was wondering if I can eat avocado.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medicine Sintrom (Acenocoumarol) is an anticoagulant (used for reducing the blood from clotting easily). While taking this drug, you should not make major changes to the diet as this can increase or decrease the effects of this drug. In both the cases, it is not ...  Read Full »

Which anticoagulant is best to prevent stroke- Apixaban or Dabigatran?

Query: Hello doctor, My mum has had an ischemic stroke. She is currently taking Warfarin, Bisoprolol, Ramipril, and Furosemide. Despite the Warfarin at 5 mg, her INR is 1.7 (that is outside the therapeutic range). She is 41 kg and age is 76. She is being encouraged by her doctor to change the anticoagulan...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the history, it looks like it is getting difficult to manage with Warfarin. Warfarin is notorious in terms of interacting with many other drugs and thereby it is difficult to achieve the target therapeutic level. So, now newer oral anticoagulants are used with...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for mitral stenosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male and I am 30-years-old male. I have a mitral valve problem, and it is moderate mitral stenosis. What remedy do you advise? If I did the valvoplasty surgery will there be any other problem? If there is a problem, is there a possibility to do the valvoplasty again? I am afraid...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are specific criteria for surgery in case of mitral valve stenosis. Surgery does not resolve the problem and you may have to stay on anticoagulation therapy for your entire life. It can help improve your physical performance and avoid pulmonary edema (shortness...  Read Full »

What does positive lupus anticoagulant test mean?

Query: Hi doctor,I have recently been told my first test of antiphospholipid syndrome shows positive lupus anticoagulants. What does that mean for someone with no symptoms? I took Articaine and Phenphedrine the day before the test. Can an overdose cause the test to be faulty? I had four miscarriages so far...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a history of four recurrent miscarriage and cause for that seems to be an antiphospholipid syndrome. Because of thrombosis secondary to antiphospholipid syndrome, miscarriage occurred. If you are on anticoagulant medication, then it could be a false result. But ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hematoma?

Query: Hi doctor,Before five months, I had surgery for thigh hematoma. Now, the same problem started again. It is increasing in size and painful. Also, there is swelling. Please see the photo attached here.  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hematomas are solved conservatively and only in severe cases when they give compression of an organ are resolved surgically. This is not a big one (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First, you have to find out the cause of hematoma if it is not trauma. I...  Read Full »