Ectopic Salivary Gland

What is the cause of a painless bump on the soft palate?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel some tissue or bump on the soft palate. It is soft without pain. I have been having it for many months. The doctors said that it is due to brush injury and will heal, but it did not. What is it?  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You are having soft swelling on your palate for quite a long time, which is not tender. So, it may be Ectopic salivary gland. Palatal cyst. To confirm it, you should do FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from this lump to find out the nature...  Read Full »

What may be the reason for pain on the back side of roof of the mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have very bad pain on the back left roof of my mouth. My left top and bottom teeth, jaw and the left side of my tongue is really sore. I felt that there is a hard lump, which feels like a bone and it is excruciating to touch it. It hurts to swallow, yawn and makes my ear pop. The bump i...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and it appears as you are having, Left peritonsillar abscess. Ectopic salivary gland on palate with secondary infection. For both the above conditions you have to consult your ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat specialist) for examinatio...  Read Full »