Q. What may be the reason for pain on the back side of roof of the mouth?

Dr. A.k.srivastava
Published on May 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have very bad pain on the back left roof of my mouth. My left top and bottom teeth, jaw and the left side of my tongue is really sore. I felt that there is a hard lump, which feels like a bone and it is excruciating to touch it. It hurts to swallow, yawn and makes my ear pop. The bump is back of the teeth, like near next to my tonsil. I have had cough, cold and sinus symptoms for a couple weeks and it is almost better now. My current medications include birth control pills, Topamax, Trileptal and Vyvanse.

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I understand your concern and it appears as you are having,

1. Left peritonsillar abscess.
  2. Ectopic salivary gland on palate with secondary infection.

For both the above conditions you have to consult your ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat specialist) for examination and treatment as surgical intervention may be required to treat it.

In the meantime, you can take tablet Paracetamol, antibiotics (preferably broad spectrum) and have adequate fluid orally.

Do warm saline gargle at least two to three times a day.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Why is my tonsil swelling persisting for more than a month?

Query: Hi doctor, My tonsils have been swollen for almost an entire month. I have had two normal appointments for it and I am scheduled for a visit with an ENT doctor after four days. Today, my throat pain is more than it has been in the past few days and my left tonsil is significantly bigger than my righ...  Read Full »