Q. Why is my elbow sore and swollen from five months?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

My inside part of my right elbow has been sore and swollen for five months. Flexing my arm out and wrist up and turning my arm from side to side aggravates things quite badly. Pain is worse at night time. When I push my three fingers and thumb together I get radiating pain down my forearm into my inside part of my elbow. Ultrasound showed all is good, but something is going on. It is hard to use my arm for any strength activities. My GP and physiotherapist have told it is not tendinitis. I took Ibuprofen and Voltarin Samuel gel but made no difference to the pain.

#

Sorry to hear about your suffering. Swollen sore elbow could be due to many causes like:

1. Bacterial infection.
  2. Gout or pseudogout.
  3. Arthritis due to autoimmune disease.
  4. Degenerative arthritic changes.

Please provide me with more details in order to identify the cause:

1. Is there any other joint with a similar problem?
  2. Any history of trauma?
  3. Is it painful with movement only or all time?
  4. Have you performed investigations?

Please provide me with a clear photo of the elbow. Send me X-ray of the elbow if already done.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Ultrasound showed no tendinitis or bursitis, having an MRI hopefully soon. It is painful most of the time, but if I try hard to keep it rested it settles a little. It started one day, while I was gardening, pulling out weeds and plants. I have no other joint pain. I did have a blood test for CPR four months back, it was just a very slightly higher result of 8.

#

From what you mentioned, you have medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow). Please send me a clear photo of your elbow in order to confirm the diagnosis and to exclude other possible causes. My advice is as follows:

1. Complete rest.
  2. Elbow bracing.
  3. Continue using Voltaren (Diclofenac) gel three times per day for two weeks.
  4. Intraarticular steroid injection once.
  5. Physiotherapy sessions.

Usually, it takes up to six months to be healed completely.

|