Emg

Apart from ALS, which other conditions cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »

I am getting constant twitching in my right biceps consistently without a break. Please help

Query: Hello doctor, For almost two months, I am having widespread fasciculations. It started from my right arm and became widespread. After some time, I began to notice my right shoulder, and knee started to get fatigued quickly. I have visited my primary doctor so many times until I was given a referral...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed, and I am glad to confirm that we can exclude any possible motor neuron disease, neuropathy, or muscle disorder. I would recommend checking vitamin D, plasma levels for possible deficiency, and thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction....  Read Full »

I am suffering from health anxiety and scared of ALS. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from health anxiety, and I am scared of ALS. I started getting muscle twitches all over my body about six months ago. It started after I stopped taking Valium 10 mg daily for seven months (in suppository form). However, they still occur. I have discontinued Benzodiazepines...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to benign fasciculation syndrome, which is associated with multiple muscle fasciculations in the absence of any neurological disorders. Of course, anxiety can trigger this clinical situation. As your EMG (electromyography) was normal, we c...  Read Full »

Does muscle twitching along with tingling mean motor neuron disease?

Query: Hello doctor,Six weeks ago, I started to get muscle twitches all over my body and tingling sensations in my skin. This is still happening. I visited my GP four weeks ago who immediately prescribed anti-depressants. I have suffered from health anxiety for the last seven years. It comes in waves. The ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of motor neuron disease. You are right to say that this disorder is associated with other symptoms besides muscle twitching. From the other hand it does not cause sensibility problems...  Read Full »

I have twitching of different muscles. Can I be sure it is not ALS?

Query: Hello doctor,The last week and a half every few minutes, I got a muscle twitch in random parts of my body. My left eye twitches more constantly than that. I have general anxiety and major health anxiety which I am wondering can play a role. I have no muscular weakness at all, and no atrophy fro...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Frequent muscle twitches without any muscle weakness or atrophy and normal reflexes can be due to anxiety. The other possibility can be benign fasciculation syndrome. But before labeling this, it is advisable to rule out other possible grave diseases. Let me ...  Read Full »

My 4-month-old daughter has very little movement in her legs. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is four months old. We observed that there was very little movement in her legs. We performed an EMG and an NCV along with vitamin D test. The report mentions generalized motor axonal polyneuropathy. I could only understand that there is an issue with her nerves in several...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to do a nerve biopsy along with an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain and spine and a detailed physical examination by a pediatric neurologist to come to a conclusion as to what we are dealing with. There are various different types of neurop...  Read Full »

Does twitching in the calf muscle mean I have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female and I am afraid I have ALS. This started with twitching in my right calf muscle two months ago and that has now spread to everywhere. A clinical exam showed slightly asymmetrical brisk knee reflex, and it is brisker on the right leg where it bothers me, not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can completely understand your concern. First of all, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is a condition which requires time to diagnose especially when it is in the initial stages. You said you experience twitching in your muscles. Do you have any other problems l...  Read Full »

Why do I feel weak and anemic even though my RBC count is high?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find the attachment of my blood report. I am concerned that I may be suffering from anemia. I have fatigue and weakness from many months. I also have a tingling feeling in my legs and hands.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not having anemia as per the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your Hb level is within the limit. So, you do not require a treatment for anemia. You can have thalassemia minor or a similar condition in which the RBC (red blood cell) c...  Read Full »

What can be the cause of prolonged macrocytosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had macrocytosis for a long time. My last B12 and folate levels were high. I have symptoms of nervousness, snarkiness, light headedness, palpitations, and sometimes tingling in the hands and feet. It is making me crazy. My MCV is 104.9, MCH 35.6 and last TSH 2.18. I have con...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Macrocytosis can be present because of hypothyroidism, alcohol, liver disease, etc. Your TSH value is within the limit. So, I do not think a thyroid problem can be the cause. You can get the following tests to rule out liver and kidney problem: SGOT (serum glutamic oxa...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full »