Q. Does twitching in the calf muscle mean I have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

I am a 25-year-old female and I am afraid I have ALS. This started with twitching in my right calf muscle two months ago and that has now spread to everywhere. A clinical exam showed slightly asymmetrical brisk knee reflex, and it is brisker on the right leg where it bothers me, not including the plantar reflexes. Everything else was said to be fine. I had EMG that was normal except for single highly polyphasic motor units with a high amplitude which signal a nerve issue at L5-L4, but my MRI only showed scoliosis which I have had since a child. I am very scared. Please advice me. You think this may be an early onset of ALS?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I can completely understand your concern.

• First of all, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is a condition which requires time to diagnose especially when it is in the initial stages. You said you experience twitching in your muscles. Do you have any other problems like muscle weakness or difficulty in swallowing or speaking?
  • Has your speech changed? For example, is there any slurring in speech? Since you have already got an EMG (electromyography) done, you can get a nerve conduction velocity test done to get a clear picture.
  • There are many conditions that mimic the ALS. So, do not panic and stay positive. Get your neurological examinations done at regular intervals.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Are vitamin D deficiency and tingling in the mouth related?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male. I am from prickling, numbness, warm sensation in my feet and hands and tingling in my lips and mouth for the past two years. I had a severe cough for around two years and recently, it got resolved. My issue, initially started with prickling and burning sensations ...  Read Full »

I developed symptoms of autoimmunity after Hepatitis B vaccine. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Before the vaccinations, I was in good health and optimal fitness level. The Hepatitis B vaccine caused me an unresolved encephalopathy and symptoms of autoimmunity. It caused flu-like symptoms, including malaise, sore throat, diffuse musculoskeletal pain, extreme exhaustion, numbness of ...  Read Full »

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »