Q. I have chest pains and a swollen lymph node under my jaw. What can it be?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and pain under the ribs on both the sides. It is not exactly like pain, but more of a discomfort. Sometimes, I get a short stabbing pain either on the left or the right side under my ribs, and it also feels something is moving or gets squeezed at some points. I have had swollen lymph node under my jaw for six weeks, and it is now getting smaller. It was around 2 cm, and now it is less than 1 cm. I started coughing just a week ago and have yellowish white mucus, and I feel a drip at the back of my throat.

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • The probable causes are:
  1. Strep throat.
  2. Pharyngeal gonorrhea.
  3. Tuberculous lymphadenitis, etc.
  • To come to a definite diagnosis, please consult a nearby physician.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Hi doctor,

Thank you for replying. I have no signs of gonorrhea. And I do not find any symptoms of tuberculosis as well. Can you please elaborate your answer?

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • I am concerned about the lymphadenopathy in your neck and the squeezing chest pain type symptoms. Typically, the lymphadenopathy should be followed up in six weeks by a physician to document improvement and reduction in size.
  • The chest discomfort with lymphadenopathy makes few diagnosis more likely starting from simple respiratory infection to more intense differentials including atypical infections and or lymphoma.

Thank you.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? What can cause NHL? Which age group is more commonly affected? Can NHL occur without any family history? Does all left supraclavicular (Virchow's node) node is associated with lymphoma? Can single small but persistent size of lymph node enough for NHL? Why m...  Read Full »

May I know the set of tests to be done for gonorrhea and chlamydia?

Query: Hi doctor, Please explain the laboratory tests to be taken for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Is there any test other than urine and throat swab test? If I go for testing what should I ask? How much will it cost?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.