Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate

Are elevated sedimentation rate and CRP concerning facts of cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is five years old. I recently took him to his pediatrician because he has been sweating at night and running hot during the day. It is hard to tell if this is really a new thing because he has always run hot, but I felt like the sweating might be increasing. Doctor ordered for...  Read Full »

Dr. Kks

Hematologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Elevated sedimentation rate of 36 and a CRP of 8.5, looks nonconcerning to me. Not sure, what made you think about cancer. Usually, small kids do catch unknown bugs from their peer groups without throwing many symptoms. It seems he had a recent viral infection which ...  Read Full »

What is the reson for high Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 72 years old. His ESR is 102. All kidney, liver and hemoglobin are in the range along with clear chest x-ray. Recently, he had right ribs and collar bone fracture. Also, he was diagnosed to have hemopneumothorax and chest tube was given for that. What may be the possible cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. ESR is an acute phase reactant (erythrocyte sedimentation reaction). It suggests that there is something is going on inside body, but it does not localize the problem. Any infection, inflammation or low hemoglobin can cause...  Read Full »