Q. I developed intermittent exotropia in late adulthood. Is it a concerning issue?

Answered by
Dr. Pooja Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2020

Hello doctor,

I developed intermittent exotropia in late adulthood. I am 29 years old and this started about two years now. Should I concern about it?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

As you have described you have started intermittent exotropia at later age right. See that is called strabismus in medical terminology usually we can treat it if it is by birth. But in your case situation is different. So there can be some neurological issues which is leading to exotropia. So my advice is you should consult strabismologist as well as neurologist also just to rule out the cause of exotropia.

First you should consult strabismologist and then neurologist. So we can fine out the reason for it and depending upon that you can plan your treatment.

The Probable causes:

Can be idiopathic. Can be neurological.

Investigations to be done:

Complete ophthalmic assessment.

Differential diagnosis:

Cranial nerve palsy.

Probable diagnosis:


Treatment plan:

As described above.

Regarding follow up:

After 1 week.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

What are the idiopathic and neurological diseases that can cause strabismus? I do not remember of ever had an stroke before. I use to have migraine with aura, but I do not have it more than two years now. What are the possibles causes of this happened to me? Could it be brain tumor?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I cannot explain you without any investigation. Because there are so many reasons like cranial nerve palsy, any history of head trauma or sometimes we cannot find any specific reasons that is called idiopathic. It can be any disease which will lead to such kind of situations. That is why I have suggested you to go and consult a neurologist also because he is the one who can tell you and guide you regarding investigation like MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CT (computed tomography) scan if needed for you. Before that complete eye exam is also important for this.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How is hypermetropia corrected?

Query: Hi doctor, Before three years I had Lasik surgery for my eyes, which were -7 in both. Afterwards I started developing hypermetropia reaching +1.75 L and +1.5 R. Recently, I started losing focus and binocularity when dealing with near objects and my left eye tends to shift away from my nose that is...  Read Full »

Could lifestyle changes improve brain health?

Query: Hi doctor, I am turning 22 in two weeks, and I am deeply worried about my brain health. On the top of pretty moderate to severe inattentive ADHD and general learning or processing issues, I smoked way too much weed from ages 16 to 20. For all of my life, I spent most of my leisure time zapping my br...  Read Full »

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

Query: Hi, My age is 26 years. I have crossed eyes problem. Can it be brought back to normal by a surgery?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.