Exotropia

How is intermittent exotropia treated?

Query: Hi Doctor, My brother is 16 years old. He has intermittent exotropia from childhood. It goes out frequently. Is there any way to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Intermittent exotropia is common in young people. One or both eyes go outward on and off commonly when they are inattentive, under stress or illness. But, if they got good fusion, then they keep their eyes straight by focusing on the target and can control exotropia. Int...  Read Full »

My eye looks smaller after exotropia surgery. Should I worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an exotropia surgery before. It was a strabismus kind of thing. But my eye, the one with the condition, is small and the pupil is like looking down. When I take pictures is very noticeable. I need to flip them to make them look normal. Is it normal that my eye is smaller and is ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. From the image you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can see that your right eye is a bit red. Has your right eye always been a little red? How long back did you get the squint surgery? If you have had surgery long a...  Read Full »

Can pencil push-ups treat my exotropia?

Query: Hi doctor, I have mild exotropia. I went for a squint check-up, and the specialist said there is no squint based on the cover test and light reflex test results. But I have exotropia, and I can see it. Can my exotropia be treated with pencil push-ups? Please give your opinion. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cover test is the best test to find true exotropia, and if there are no issues with the test, then there is no true exotropia. You might be having a pseudoexotropia. There is no treatment required for it. Pensil push-ups will not help you. Regards. For further queries co...  Read Full »

Can squint surgery help treat diplopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male with a history of closed globe injury in the right eye 10 years ago. At that time, my vision in the right eye was hand movements only and I was diagnosed with a macular injury. Three months later, my vision slowly improved to 6/36. However, my right eye started...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diplopia is occurring definitely due to squinting because, in this, the image which is formed will be defocussed. It has occurred secondary to the trauma. The only remedy is to correct it by surgery. If it would have been due to other causes which were intrinsic t...  Read Full »

Please suggest some exercise to reduce squint eyes.

Query: Hi doctor, I have squint eyes, please check the attached picture. I am 24 years old, and I started wearing glasses when I was 16. I do not think I had squint before I started wearing glasses. Please suggest some exercise to reduce squint or tell me what will be best for me. I have -3 power with cyli...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering that you have a refractive error with cylindrical power, you can get corneal topography done. -3 is a moderate refractive error. Convergence exercises (pencil push ups) can be tried. The photographs uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity...  Read Full »

How to correct hypermetropia?

Query: Hi doctor, Before three years I had Lasik surgery for my eyes, which were -7 in both. Afterwards I started developing hypermetropia reaching +1.75 L and +1.5 R. Recently, I started losing focus and binocularity when dealing with near objects and my left eye tends to shift away from my nose that is...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. My suggestion is to get cycloplegic refraction done and use glasses as per prescription given after cycloplegic refraction.  Ask your doctor to check your convergence as you might have convergence weakness. If there is convergence weakness then start convergence exer...  Read Full »