Q. I have long-sightedness. Will lasik cure it?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I wanted to ask you about long-sightedness.

#

I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have myopic astigmatism in both with the left eye having high astigmatism. If you have any doubts about this prescription then please be more specific about it, I will do my best to help you.

Can I undertake lasik?

#

Whether you can undertake lasik or any other refractive surgery depends on two things. Your corneal thickness and corneal curvature or shape. Both of these are checked using tests called orbscan and pentacam. If these are within normal limits, then, you can go ahead with lasik or any other suitable procedure. In case you have a problem with either or both of these, the management may differ.

I feel that your right eye may be within the normal limits in these tests, but have a doubt about your left eye. You see, your left eye has high cylindrical power (-4), cylindrical powers are difficult to treat and there may be higher chances of having residual power or progression of power after surgery. In case you need further help, please attach a copy of the corneal topography tests (orbscan and pentacam).

|