Fetal Anomalies

Will alcohol consumption up to eight weeks of pregnancy cause damage to the fetus?

Query: Hi doctor,I just found out I am eight weeks and three days pregnant. I have been drinking lightly, but six to eight weeks and two days, I drank almost daily, ranging from one beer in a day to the heaviest days being multiple jello shots. I did not know I was pregnant. Is my baby okay? I am taking pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Now coming to the fact that you were consuming alcohol as you were not aware of the fact that you are pregnant. So do not worry...  Read Full »

Does increased AFP level in triple marker test confirm anomalies in the baby?

Query: Hi doctor, What should be the AFP level in the triple marker test? In the triple marker test, we had a high level of AFP 174 at 18 weeks. Should we be worried? The hCG is 73382, and estriol is 0.88. What to do next just got the report, and very tense. Kindly give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The AFP is basically alpha-fetoprotein which is produced by your baby's body only. The triple test is done to look for or predict any anomalies or defects in the baby. It is a screening test. AFP is to predict the presence of neural tube defects (spine and brain). ...  Read Full »

Does a hypoplastic nasal bone suggest Down syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old pregnant woman and went through an anomaly scan. An anomaly scan showed hypoplastic nasal bone in the baby that might lead to Down syndrome. However, in my third-month NT scan, the baby's nasal bone was seen. Also, in the double marker test, Down syndrome was at low r...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. NT (nuchal translucency)scan and double marker are screening tests that only tell if the baby is at high or low risk for Down syndrome. It does not rule it out completely. Hypoplastic nasal bone (not well-developed nasal bone) is only one ...  Read Full »

Will Duphaston cause any harm to fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and married for five years. I had two confirmed pregnancies before 11 years, which were terminated safely via a pill (no D and C). We now want to have a baby. I have excess dark, thick hair on my legs, thighs, and back, but I have regular menses, 30 days cycle. My ...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Duphaston is safe for the fetus, but if everything is normal unnecessary medication should be avoided. Folvite tablet 5 mg is safe to be used when you plan your pregnancy for at least three months before. All the symptoms are right for you except for decreased libido....  Read Full »

What possible damage could absence of ductus venosus during 1st and 2nd trimester cause in fetus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have absence of ductus venosus during pregnancy during the first and second trimester. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Absence of ductus venous during the first and second trimester scan is a vascular condition that might be of concern for fetal abnormalities. It can put the fetus at risk of other congenital anomalies including facial clefts, hemivertebrae, cardiac, genitourinary, and g...  Read Full »

Will the baby be safe if I stop smoking weed within five months of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I just found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks ago. I smoke weed. I am slowly trying to stop. I have about seven months left of my pregnancy. If I was to cut way back and stop completely at five months of my pregnancy would I and the baby be clean when I deliver?  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We need to worry about what the baby is facing now and not about what will happen after you stop. All the components of smoke, the bad air (carbon dioxide), tar, the chemicals in the smoke, which may vary with what you are smoking are all powerful vasoconstrictors. I me...  Read Full »

Fetal scan shows the presence of only one kidney. How to lead life with single kidney?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 weeks pregnant. All my fetal scans taken so far shows, my baby has only one kidney, which is the left one, and it is working normally. I have attached the document. I doubt whether there is a left kidney somewhere down, not sure, but if it is there, it would be very small. But...  Read Full »

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many children with a single kidney will have a normal life without further complications. But still there is some risk of development of some problems later in life : 1. Development of high blood pressure. 2. Urinary tract infections. 3. Decreased kidney function...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to have first pregnancy after 30 years of age?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee wants to get pregnant within next eight months and is pressurizing me to get married by then. She says that even waiting for one month will be too late as she will turn 30 by then. Will 8 months make such a difference that her body will be deteriorated if she waits until nex...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Kyal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Theoretically, it is ideal to have pregnancy before thirty especially the first pregnancy as after 30 we say it is elderly pregnancy and there are some inherent complications associated with elderly pregnancy like hypertension, GDM, impaired fetal growth, etc. So it ...  Read Full »

If mother is alcoholic, are the damage happened to fetus due to FAS reversible?

Query: Hello doctor, I just found out that I am 9 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I have been drinking two standard glasses of wine a day, sometimes less but sometimes more. Twice I had a 50 ml shot of Gin. I will not drink again now. What are the chances my baby has FAS including facial defects? Will absta...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are regularly having alcohol, then yes, there are 10 to 15 percentage chances of having fetal alcohol syndrome. You should get NT scan done at 11 weeks 4 days. Start Folic Acid twice a day. After NT scan, take a decision whether to continue the pregnancy or not.  Read Full »

Ultrasound scan showed dilated cerebral ventricle in 37 weeks fetus. How to proceed further?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done four ultrasound scan of my 37 weeks baby showing the impression of the fetal left lateral cerebral ventricle is significantly dilated (approximately 27 mm) with the irregularity of the wall. Left choroid plexus is enlarged and filled with a hypoechoic central part. Corpus cal...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these suggest that there is a problem on the left side of the baby's brain. To ascertain the cause and extent of the problem, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain is definitely required. Based on the MRI, further investigations can be planned. At this point, it is...  Read Full »