Q. My fetal scan shows the presence of only one kidney. What is the chance of future problems?

Dr. Tarek Algamal
Published on Oct 15, 2019

I am 28 weeks pregnant. All my fetal scans taken so far shows, my baby has only one kidney, which is the left one, and it is working normally. I have attached the document. I doubt whether there is a left kidney somewhere down, not sure, but if it is there, it would be very small. But for now, let us say the baby has one normal kidney. After delivery, what is the process of ultrasound and blood tests? Will it be done immediately or after a couple of days? And throughout the pregnancy, if all scan result shows normal kidney, then what is the chance of problem to the kidney in future?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Many children with a single kidney will have a normal life without further complications.

But still there is some risk of development of some problems later in life :

1. Development of high blood pressure.

2. Urinary tract infections.

3. Decreased kidney functions.

The development of these problems is variable.

This entails:

1. The baby should go for a scan after birth.

2. Need follow up with a Pediatric Nephrologist.

3. Regular checking of blood pressure and urine for infection and protein loss must be done.

4. The child should protect his kidney and reduce the risk of complications later in life by eating a healthy diet, doing plenty of exercise and not smoking. I hope this helps.

Is it safe to conceive at 40 years of age?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old woman. My husband is 53 years old. Since I married late, is it safe to conceive now or will I face any health issues? If safe, then when should I have sex to conceive at the earliest?  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is risk involved for conceiving at this age. Age-related screening is needed before conception even if you both are healthy and do not have any problem. As long waited oocytes (eggs) will be involved in conception, there are a few tests for conception at this age ...  Read Full

Is it safe to get an X-ray when pregnant?

Query: Hello¬†doctor,My wife is seven weeks pregnant. She had to undergo an X-ray and mammogram recently. Is there any risk of radiation to the fetus?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it is difficult to say if there would be any long-term effects to the fetus. You can get an early anomaly scan at 12 weeks of pregnancy to rule out any abnormalities. Usually, a single exposure does not cause trouble. So, for all practical purpos...  Read Full

Why is there spotting and brown discharge with clots in a six weeks pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, Now I am six weeks pregnant. I had two miscarriages before. I have some spotting and brown discharge with clots seen continuous from the fifth week to now. Two days before I went for scanning and a perfect heartbeat was seen, no subchorionic hemorrhage was there. But still, small spottin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please take Progesterone supplements and adequate rest. Avoid having sex and lifting heavy weights, or bumpy drives. If properly treated and taken good supplements, miscarriage will be prevented. Trisomy and chromosomal anomalies can be detected by 12 to 13 weeks and fo...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now