Q. My fetal scan shows the presence of only one kidney. What is the chance of future problems?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

I am 28 weeks pregnant. All my fetal scans taken so far shows, my baby has only one kidney, which is the left one, and it is working normally. I have attached the document. I doubt whether there is a left kidney somewhere down, not sure, but if it is there, it would be very small. But for now, let us say the baby has one normal kidney. After delivery, what is the process of ultrasound and blood tests? Will it be done immediately or after a couple of days? And throughout the pregnancy, if all scan result shows normal kidney, then what is the chance of problem to the kidney in future?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Many children with a single kidney will have a normal life without further complications.

But still there is some risk of development of some problems later in life :

1. Development of high blood pressure.

2. Urinary tract infections.

3. Decreased kidney functions.

The development of these problems is variable.

This entails:

1. The baby should go for a scan after birth.

2. Need follow up with a Pediatric Nephrologist.

3. Regular checking of blood pressure and urine for infection and protein loss must be done.

4. The child should protect his kidney and reduce the risk of complications later in life by eating a healthy diet, doing plenty of exercise and not smoking. I hope this helps.

| 

Is it safe to conceive at 40 years of age?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old woman. My husband is 53 years old. Since I married late, is it safe to conceive now or will I face any health issues? If safe, then when should I have sex to conceive at the earliest?  Read Full »

Is it safe to get an X-ray when pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is seven weeks pregnant. She had to undergo an X-ray and mammogram recently. Is there any risk of radiation to the fetus?  Read Full »

Why is there spotting and brown discharge with clots in a six weeks pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, Now I am six weeks pregnant. I had two miscarriages before. I have some spotting and brown discharge with clots seen continuous from the fifth week to now. Two days before I went for scanning and a perfect heartbeat was seen, no subchorionic hemorrhage was there. But still, small spottin...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now