Q. What should be done when a 5-year-old has a fever of 102° with TLC 16700?

Dr. Amit Modi

My son is having a fever of 102°. He is 5 years and 4 months old. Since last two days, his temperature is not reducing. We have given Ibuprofen plus paracetamol syrup. Tablet Zedocef (100) DT 1 tablet twice a daily for five days after food. Syprup Ondem 5 ml thrice daily 1/2 hour before food, syrup Ibuprofen, paracetamol 7.5 ml 6 hours once after food. We tested his blood, but there was no malaria or typhoid. But his TLC is 16700. He is not taking any food, but sometimes he drinks ORS. So suggest us what to do?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You are already giving multiple antibiotics and antipyretics. The TLC (total leucocyte count) count in the report is on the higher side, which suggests some bacterial infection. Continue with the advised treatment. Some times fever may take three to four days to respond. Continue to give Ibugesic plus for each episode of fever for now. Cold sponging also helps to bring down the temperature.

Get a repeat CBC (complete blood count) and Urine microscopy done.

If fever is persisting and not responding to oral medication. The child may require admission for starting IV antibiotics. A complete clinical examination by the pediatrician to find out foci of infection is recommended.

| 

Chikungunya Fever

Article Overview: In rapidly urbanizing cities, it has become a regular phenomenon to have a post monsoon surge of fever cases. Chikungunya is also one among them. Read Article

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
General Medicine Physician

Fever has many causes viral being one of them. Viral fever is very common during the change of seasons. Different viruses like influenza virus, flavivirus, etc., can cause febrile illnesses. The viral infection can be acquired either through direct contact with the patient (droplet infecti...  Read Article

Does my symptoms point towards autoimmune disease?

Query: Hello doctor,Based on the following, do I have an autoimmune disease:An overall feeling of sickness.Irregular heartbeat sometimes.Swollen and painful joints.Swollen legs, ankles, fingers, and toes.Headaches sometimes.Shortness of breath.Psoriasis arthritis.Visual problems, burning, itching, very dry...  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »