Q. Can I take protein powder to gain weight?

Dr. Alka

I am 18 years old, weight is 55 kg, height is 5'11". I have a problem in gaining weight. The checkup shows that all things are normal. I am eating regularly. Kindly explain the problem in detail and tell whether taking protein powder has any side effect or not.

Do you have a question on Gain Weight or Protein Powder?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Alka

BACHELOR OF AYURVEDIC MEDICINE AND SURGERY(B.A.M.S)., MASTERS IN HEALTHCARE SERVICES

I just read your query. See gaining weight depends on metabolism, genes, and activity, etc. Metabolism of every person varies depending on thyroid gland functioning. Genes mean that if your parents are skinny then there are chances that you will be lean. Physical activity also determines weight gain. Without any indication, protein powder intake is not good. It may lead to health issues. Bodybuilders take it but they take it under the supervision and it is required in them. So I advise you to visit a nearby physician and ask for the supplies according to your requirement.

How to pick the best protein powder for me?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old male. My body weight is not proportionate to my age and height. Please let me know the proportion that has to be noticed while selecting the best protein powder to gain weight?  Read Full »
Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest you the following proportion to keep in mind while selecting a protein powder: Low fat (1 to 5 grams is good). Low carbohydrate (1 to 5 grams is good). High protein (normally about 20 to 30 grams per serving). Go for concentrate powders - that is ...  Read Full »

I want to gain weight very fast. Please suggest a medicine.
Query: Hello doctor,My age is 28, height is 176.78 cm and my weight is only 56 kg. I do not have any type of disease. I want to gain weight very fast. In five to six months up to 10 kg. Please suggest me a medicine, syrup, or protein supplement.  Read Full »
Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at your BMI it is slightly below normal. You must better see a gastroenterologist and get some basic tests done which is quite possibly a diagnosis even if you do not have any other symptoms. Thyroid profile, CBC, anti-Tg antibodies are some test you should ...  Read Full »

Will taking protein powder in high quantities affect kidneys?
Query: Hi doctor, I heard that a high intake of protein powder will affect kidney functions (by forming kidney stones). Is it true?  Read Full »
Dr. Suneetha B S
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Too much of any nutrient is not good for the body. But when you say 'high amount', it is a relative term. What seems 'high amount' to you may not be really high. If you think you are taking too much protein, please do mention what kind of protein you are taking and...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now