Q. Is high intake of protein powder helpful or harmful to the health?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Is high intake of protein powder helpful or harmful to the health? And what is considered as too much protein?

#

The recommended dietary intake of protein is 30% of your total calorie or food intake, which means 30% of what you eat should be proteins. If it exceeds 45 or 50%, then it can cause problems, especially to your kidneys. High protein powders can be used if you have protein deficiency or if your normal diet does not supply adequate protein. If you are asking this for bodybuilding purpose, then taking a very limited quantity over a short period is considered to be fine.

|