Q. My wife has not been able to gain weight. What type of foods can help her?

My wife is 24 years old. She is 5 feet and 3 inches in height and weighs 42 kg. Since our marriage, her weight has not increased. It is almost static. We are vegetarians. I have a 2-year-old baby born via C-section. She has not been able to gain weight. Kindly suggest anything to recover from this problem.

Dr. Sonali Arvind Bhanushali
DIETITIAN CUM FITNESS EXPERT
Dietician, Fitness Expert

• As per the height of your wife, the ideal weight should be between 62 to 65 kg. So, yes she needs to gain some healthy weight.
  • There are many factors that affect the individual weight and height. For example, the age, gender, lifestyle, diet, and genetic factors.  She could also have malabsorption of nutrients where the nutrients are not absorbed by the body. 
  • She needs to increase her physical activity as well as need to do modification in her current eating habits. She needs to get food of high biological value. She needs a good amount of cereals and pulses combination to get a complete protein diet.
  • We can start her with slowly increasing 500 kcal and plan a complete personalized diet plan for healthy weight gain.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Dietician »