Q. My wife has not been able to gain weight. What type of foods can help her?

My wife is 24 years old. She is 5 feet and 3 inches in height and weighs 42 kg. Since our marriage, her weight has not increased. It is almost static. We are vegetarians. I have a 2-year-old baby born via C-section. She has not been able to gain weight. Kindly suggest anything to recover from this problem.

Dr. Sonali Arvind Bhanushali
DIETITIAN CUM FITNESS EXPERT
Dietician, Fitness Expert

• As per the height of your wife, the ideal weight should be between 62 to 65 kg. So, yes she needs to gain some healthy weight.
  • There are many factors that affect the individual weight and height. For example, the age, gender, lifestyle, diet, and genetic factors.  She could also have malabsorption of nutrients where the nutrients are not absorbed by the body. 
  • She needs to increase her physical activity as well as need to do modification in her current eating habits. She needs to get food of high biological value. She needs a good amount of cereals and pulses combination to get a complete protein diet.
  • We can start her with slowly increasing 500 kcal and plan a complete personalized diet plan for healthy weight gain.

For more information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health
Article Overview: This article talks about the healthy habits every busy woman should develop, to prevent diseases in the long run and be able to enjoy life to its fullest.  Read Article »
Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are takin ...  Read Article »

Please suggest a diet plan to lose weight.
Query: Hi doctor, I have gastric problem. Can you suggest me diet plan to lose weight with consideration of my gastric problem. Please specify any precautions to be taken and mention the source of food. I am attaching my medical reports which I have done before six months. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Manidipa Dey
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to follow a high protein, low calorie and low fat balanced diet. Do not skip your breakfast. To control gastric problem you need to take food at proper interval. Do not let your stomach empty for a longer time. For hypertension avoid table salt intake and use l...  Read Full »

Health Benefits from Eating Eggs
Article Overview: Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any other dietary protein. An egg is said to be a complete food because of its nutritional benefits, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, best quality of fat, etc.  Read Article »
Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following: Calorie - 85. Protein - 6.5 g (13 % of RDA). Fat - 6. ...  Read Article »

Why do I always feel lazy and have muscle pains?
Query: Hi doctor,I am 21 years old, who weighs 50 kg, and I am 5.10 feet tall. I feel lazy all the time. I always have a headache and pain in the muscles of the shoulder and neck. Sometimes, my joints also pain.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main problem is you are malnourished, and your (BMI) body mass index is low. Because of weak muscles, you are getting cervical pain and joint pains. I would suggest you try the following: Take a healthy protein-rich diet that is, possibly 4 to 6 eggs...  Read Full »

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion
Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23, male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full »
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You must take a high protein diet. And to aid better protein absorption, include acidic foods like lemon, orange, etc., in your diet. I am mentioning here a sample protein rich diet. You may modify the same as per your taste. Breakfast: 4 boiled/scrambled/...  Read Full »

Please suggest a diet plan for hypothyroidism and high BP.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50 year old male. My height is 6 feet and my weight is 90 kg. I take regular medications for hypothyroidism and high BP. I am attaching my latest reports. Please suggest a low-carb high-fat vegetarian diet.  Read Full »
Dr. Neha Suryawanshi
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your height, your ideal weight should be 63 kg. You need to reduce at least 25 kg. Your total cholesterol count is high. General suggestions as follows:...  Read Full »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?