Genetic Inheritance

Which disease can cause a child to suddenly lose the ability to walk?

Query: Dear doctor, My father-in-law had a son. He grew up like a normal child till the age of around 10 to 12 years. Suddenly, he was diseased and he was not able to walk properly and after some days, he completely lost power in both the legs and permanently lost his ability to walk. Could you tell me wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Kishore

Paediatrician, Paediatric Surgeon, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is likely that he could be suffering from one of the types of muscular dystrophy. It is most of the time, X-chromosome linked. Usually, the male children get affected and the females are carriers. For further queries, post a detailed history and ask a doctor online...  Read Full »

Please suggest some height gaining tips.

Query: How to increase my height? I am 23 years old.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Growth in terms of height drastically reduces after puberty. You have not mentioned your gender. Theoretically, with proper nutrition and under ideal circumstances, growth in height stops in women at 18 years and in men at 24 years. This does not consider other factors...  Read Full »

What causes white hair at an early age?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old and¬†getting white hairs. They are white near the scalp and black in the tip. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are only 17 years old, the primary cause behind it might be genetic as your parents or grand parents may have white hairs at an early stage. The other possible causes might include poor nutrition, improper lifestyle, stress, etc. White hairs mean lack of mel...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have a healthy baby if the mother's hip is completely fused?

Query: Hi doctor, I have severe ankylosing spondylitis since 19 years. I am a 28 year old male, married and would like to have a baby now. I am taking Indomethacin 75 mg and Omeprazole twice a day. My left hip is completely fused, but I have no pain. There is pain in right hip and lower back. Please let me...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about your condition and your future baby. You are fine and your baby will also be fine, as genetic transmission is rare in this case. Again you should change the painkiller if you are not responding to it. You can start tablet Rofecoxib 50 mg daily for f...  Read Full »

I want my eyebrows and eyelashes to be thicker. Help me.

Query: Hello Doctor, I have very thin and short eyelashes and eyebrows. I want thicker and longer eyebrows and eyelashes. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Bhatla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Thickness and size of eyelashes and eyebrows depend on your genetic inheritance. If your genetic makeup indicates your eyelashes to be thin then they will not grow bigger than your genes allow. In case your genetic material indicates your eyelashes to be thick and bea...  Read Full »

Am I gaining weight because of low testosterone level?

Query: Hello doctor, My current weight is 92 kg, and my height is 5 feet 8 inches. I have a regular weight gain problem. In the past, I have got done tests like thyroid, testosterone, and cortisol. Please advise if any other test can be done to diagnose a problem. I have a very strict diet and exercise....  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. If obesity runs in your family, then that might have influenced your weight gain. Such weight gain is genetic and therefore if your parents and relatives have a tendency of obesity then it is ge...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of multiple sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female, I would like to know if multiple sclerosis is hereditary? My dad has it, and I am very nervous to inherit this disease. I have had two brain MRI's that have been normal, except for an incidental finding of a pineal gland cyst. I continue to worry about inhe...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. It is clear that you are not having MS (Multiple sclerosis) as of date. None of your symptoms are typical of multiple sclerosis. Back and thigh pain is posture related and tremors are anxiety related. Repeated MRI's being normal further rules ...  Read Full »

What are the causes and treatment of hypochondroplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's son has been diagnosed with hypochondroplasia. He is 11 months old. His height is 50 cm and weight is approximately 5 kg. Kindly suggest the best treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypochondroplasia is a rare and genetically inherited condition. It involves the skeletal system, and the child's height and weight are definitely low. And birth history (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also suggests some abnormality. What about the pare...  Read Full »

Can psychological disorders come through genes?

Query: Hi doctor, I firmly believe that psychological disorders can come through genes. My mother had schizophrenia. I am so worried that I can also have it. I am depressed in the evenings daily, and I have lost a lot of joy in my life with feelings. I am thinking about the psychological disorders every d...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Psychiatric disorders including schizophrenia do not follow a direct mendelian inheritance, and they have multifactorial etiologies. If your mother has schizophrenia, then you have an increased risk of having schizophrenia or other psychiatric disorders. But that risk i...  Read Full »

How to prevent further deterioration of gap between the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have always had perfect teeth. But recently, I noticed a small gap forming between my front two teeth and my incisor had rotated a bit. Tooth gaps are in my family. Is there any way I can prevent my teeth from deteriorating?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Tooth gaps in the front are inherited in families to a certain extent. A study has even proved that there is as high as 62.5% of patients have midline gap running in families. You also have mentioned that one of...  Read Full »