Genetic Inheritance

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to grow a proper beard?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My height is 5'11" and weight is 60 kg. I am pretty lean. I have an issue with facial hair growth. I am unable to grow a proper beard. It just does not grow, although when I look closely at the mirror there are some small hairs on the side. I have some prominent facial...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not have any abnormality. Hair growth varies between person to person. If you have good hair growth on other parts of the body does not mean that you will have the same growth in the face too. It is genetic and varies from person to person. If it bothers you so mu...  Read Full »

Does prostate cancer have a strong family history?

Query: Hi doctor, My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer. I am worried about his prognosis. How long he would survive? They have removed his testes and advised him to take Andro Block for life time. They used the term highly suspicious of prostate canc...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatric Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I sympathize for the medical condition of your father. Unfortunately, he has moderate to advanced cancer of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The biopsy report is suggestive of moderate cancer as per Gleason's score, but if we consider the bon...  Read Full »

Are essential tremors hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, The person I am taking about is having severe tremors in the hand and fingers while going to new places. So, the person avoids huge crowd and sound. The person is 30 now and said that the problem was there from his childhood. All of the siblings have this tremor in the hand and finger. If...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understand your doubts regarding essential tremors. If not treated, the person will not be able to do or will do with much difficulty works involving fingers like writing, mixing food, button shirts, etc. Activities which require co...  Read Full »

Why is my daughter's growth not normal?

Query: Hi doctor,Today, I took my 4.8 years old daughter, who is about 13 kg weight and 94 cm height, to a free growth screening camp. The Doctor has suggested the following laboratory tests. LFT, KFT, TSH, CBC, P/S, ESR, vitamin D3, TTG, IgA level, urine and stool routine. She has also prescribed Bandy P...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter's weight and height are just on the lower side of normal. At this age, if everything else is normal, then height is usually constitutional or genetic, which depends on parental weight and height. They might have the growth spurt later. ...  Read Full »

What is the heritability of schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male in good health. I have suffered bouts of depression for the past few years along with anxiety and OCD. I am on Zoloft every day and am doing well for the most part. I am staying active and keeping busy. The reason why I ask this is, that on my mother's side the...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history provided, I see that you do not have any first degree relatives with schizophrenia. So the risk is not high. This condition can run in families, but the risk is more when you have first degree relatives with schizophrenia (like parents, sibling...  Read Full »

Will my son be short as I am short?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 years 1 month old. His height is 119.5 cm and weight is 25.5 kg. He is a very normal and healthy boy. My height is 5 feet 5 inches and my wife's height is 5 feet. I am worried about his height? Please explain me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son's weight is fine and height is on the lower side. The body mass index is fine, but could be better. Height usually depends on a few things like the height of the parents genetically related, delay in height spurt and undernutrition. But...  Read Full »

Is schizophrenia an inherited disease?

Query: Hello doctor, We are adopting a child through the foster care system and his mother and grandmother were both diagnosed with schizophrenia. We wanted to talk to someone about the risk factors, what it looks like if he does develop it? If there are things we can do to help prevent it?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If one parent has schizophrenia, there is about a 10 or 12 percent chance for the child to develop the same. (90 percent chance of normal child). If at all the child develops, then some early prodromal symptoms will be apparent in late teens to '20s (15 to 25 years)...  Read Full »

Will MCADD cause persistently increased CK levels and developmental delay in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a seven and half-year-old son. He has metabolic genetic illnesses MCADD and not able to break down fats to produce energy. So has to eat carbohydrates and drink on time to maintain his blood sugar levels as well. He has chylomicron retention disease which is not being able to abs...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This seems to be more of a genetic disorder, unfortunately. The genome sequence of your family needs to be done in order to find the fault. However, this is only from a diagnostic point of view. It is not going to change the medical treatment for the children. Also, th...  Read Full »

Can ovarian cancer be transmitted genetically?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother had a big goiter that she did not get it removed. Later she got a large cyst on the ovary. I mean 8 kg. When she removed it, she found out she had ovarian cancer. She removed it and is healthy today. Now I am terrified that this is hereditary. What do you think? I am so...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Bhushan Jain

Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist, Radiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, it is perfectly normal if your grandmother had and now your mother is started having premenopausal irregular cycles at age of 44, there is no harm in having menopause at this age and studies have concluded that early menopause protects from breast and ovarian ...  Read Full »