Genetic Inheritance

Can I know whether sudden cardiac arrest occur as a genetic predisposition?

Query: Hi, I am a 28 year old woman. 3 years ago my eldest brother passed away at the age of 31 from a sudden cardiac arrest after playing football. He couldn't make it to the hospital and passed away at the hospital gate. 1.5 hours of time from the sudden pain to actual death. Exact 3 years later, 2nd ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Thanks for the query madam First line of investigations are ECG and Echocardiography. It is recommended that autopsy should have been done of sudden death victims and genetic analysis. Have ECG and Echocardiography done, and fasting lipid profile. If resting ECG is normal then ECG is done with cert...  Read Full »

Does schizophrenia run in families?

Query: Hi doctor, My boyfriend's father has schizophrenia. What are the odds that my boyfriend or my future child would get the disorder? Is it risky to marry him? Please help. I am confused.  Read Full »

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder and sometimes tend to run in families. However, it does not imply it is a monogenic disorder, where the inheritance rate of disease is higher and more easily predictable. Currently, there is no scientific evidence to...  Read Full »

What can cause a very pleasurable feeling in the thigh?

Query: Hello, I'm a 30 year old male. Ever since I was 12 I would get this very pleasurable feeling in my thigh. Sometime both of them. It feels sooo good and it comes out of nowhere. It almost feels orgasmic. I could be standing or sitting and it just randomly comes, I don't even have to be thinking about...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Dear, Thank you for getting in touch with us and sharing your question. First of all there is no known medical condition with this constellation of symptoms, indicating that your feeling is just a variant of what is normal. Of course a neurologist could run tests to detect how your nerves in that ...  Read Full »

I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Query: Hi doctor, I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages. I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy. Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any ...  Read Full »

Why am I unable to grow a proper beard?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My height is 5'11" and weight is 60 kg. I am pretty lean. I have an issue with facial hair growth. I am unable to grow a proper beard. It just does not grow, although when I look closely at the mirror there are some small hairs on the side. I have some prominent facial...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Dixit

Nephrologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not have any abnormality. Hair growth varies between person to person. If you have good hair growth on other parts of the body does not mean that you will have the same growth in the face too. It is genetic and varies from person to person. If it bothers you so mu...  Read Full »

Does prostate cancer have a strong family history?

Query: Hi doctor, My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer. I am worried about his prognosis. How long he would survive? They have removed his testes and advised him to take Andro Block for life time. They used the term highly suspicious of prostate canc...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Medical Oncologist, Paediatric Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I sympathize for the medical condition of your father. Unfortunately, he has moderate to advanced cancer of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The biopsy report is suggestive of moderate cancer as per Gleason's score, but if we consider the bon...  Read Full »

Are essential tremors hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, The person I am taking about is having severe tremors in the hand and fingers while going to new places. So, the person avoids huge crowd and sound. The person is 30 now and said that the problem was there from his childhood. All of the siblings have this tremor in the hand and finger. If...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question with care and understand your doubts regarding essential tremors. If not treated, the person will not be able to do or will do with much difficulty works involving fingers like writing, mixing food, button shirts, etc. Activities which require co...  Read Full »

Why is my daughter's growth not normal?

Query: Hi doctor,Today, I took my 4.8 years old daughter, who is about 13 kg weight and 94 cm height, to a free growth screening camp. The Doctor has suggested the following laboratory tests. LFT, KFT, TSH, CBC, P/S, ESR, vitamin D3, TTG, IgA level, urine and stool routine. She has also prescribed Bandy P...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter's weight and height are just on the lower side of normal. At this age, if everything else is normal, then height is usually constitutional or genetic, which depends on parental weight and height. They might have the growth spurt later. ...  Read Full »

What is the heritability of schizophrenia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male in good health. I have suffered bouts of depression for the past few years along with anxiety and OCD. I am on Zoloft every day and am doing well for the most part. I am staying active and keeping busy. The reason why I ask this is, that on my mother's side the...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the history provided, I see that you do not have any first degree relatives with schizophrenia. So the risk is not high. This condition can run in families, but the risk is more when you have first degree relatives with schizophrenia (like parents, sibling...  Read Full »

Will my son be short as I am short?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 years 1 month old. His height is 119.5 cm and weight is 25.5 kg. He is a very normal and healthy boy. My height is 5 feet 5 inches and my wife's height is 5 feet. I am worried about his height? Please explain me.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son's weight is fine and height is on the lower side. The body mass index is fine, but could be better. Height usually depends on a few things like the height of the parents genetically related, delay in height spurt and undernutrition. But...  Read Full »