Q. Can minimally invasive glaucoma surgery be done in sensitive eyes with glaucoma?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Natarajan and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Glaucoma or Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Can minimally invasive glaucoma surgery be done in sensitive eyes with glaucoma?

My mom is a glaucoma patient for the last 10 years. She has been on medications like eye drops including Azopt, Ganfort, Alphagan, Vigamox, and prior to them Cosopt (which did not suit her). She has gone through retina eye laser and also has been injected in both her eyes almost 22 times for retinal leakage as well, has also gone through cataract eye surgery 16 years ago. At the moment her eye pressure remains between 21 to 24. The doctor says implants are necessary as she can see very less now. Given her eye condition is sensitive, a doctor has suggested that it is best to operate her with Ahmed valve implant, however, it has its own risks. I wanted to know if it is better to try the latest option, called MIGS (minimally invasive glaucoma surgery) like Xen Gel Stent and InnFocus Microshunt as it has near to no complications. I want to get an opinion about this before thinking about Ahmed valve.