Q. Can you recommend some supplements to reduce HbA1c?

Answered by
Dr. Fatemeh Jadidi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2018

Hi doctor,

My HbA1c is around 6.0 %. Several years ago, it was used to be at 5.2 %. Can you recommend some supplements to reduce HbA1c?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

HbA1c level (glycated hemoglobin) goes up when your body is unable to control glucose accurately and when the insulin sensitivity is low. You have not mentioned the treatment taken for diabetes. I assume that you are prediabetic and I am giving the following instructions. You have to change your lifestyle and diet. Or else you will become prone to diabetic. Please follow these instructions to increase the sensitivity to insulin and to decrease your HbA1c.

Daily exercise improves your glycemic control and insulin resistance. You should do both strength training exercise and aerobic exercise. It helps you to reduce body fat and improves the skeletal muscle mass and strength. You should have a low GI (glycemic index) diet. You should focus on eating foods with a GI less than 55 and take fiber-rich foods such as apples, grapefruit, legumes, onions and garlic, dense, grainy bread and wholegrain cereals such as whole oats. Try to reduce taking sugary foods, processed foods, and concentrated carbohydrates.

Take a fiber-rich diet. Consume soluble fiber at least 40 grams per day. Take good sources of soluble fibers such as vegetables, oats, whole grain rice and legumes. Dietary fibers are also beneficial. Reduce taking saturated fat and increase the consumption of omega 3 rich foods and monounsaturated foods. Eat antioxidant-rich foods containing vitamin B, vitamin C, and vitamin E.

Eat foods that contain low GI, bioflavonoid and anthocyanin-rich foods such as blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, citrus fruits, and onion. Take cinnamon regularly in the diet. It helps to lower the postprandial glucose. Take 50 to 100 ml bitter melon juice containing 100-gram fruit in 100 ml. It reduces the fasting and postprandial glucose levels. Reduce taking tea and coffee. Instead, drink plenty of water. Tea and coffee inhibit the absorption of essential nutrients especially when consumed close to the meals.

Take Chromium 200 microgram per day. It helps us to have glucose control. Take Magnesium 400 mg per day. Magnesium deficiency aggravates insulin resistance. Taking a good quantity of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant supplement provide essential micronutrients. Take omega 3 fish oil 1000 mg three times a day. Take vitamin E 500 IU daily. Take Alpha-lipoic acid 600 micrograms in divided doses.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What exercises will lead to normal delivery in a person with small cervical length?

.. needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do no...   Read full

Preventing Constipation Naturally

Last but not the least, you must reduce mental stress/ strain, do relaxation exercises including yoga and meditation daily ...   Read full

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress ... People with diabetes are also predisposed to developing frozen shoulder, which might explain her shoulder pain ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Disclaimer: Alternative medicine is not aimed to replace the services of your treating physician or allopathy medicines. Our site’s information is to those who are willing to take responsibility for their health, being fully aware that the content published herein would not qualify as prescription or specific medical advice. If users use the information and stop prescribed medication without their physician’s consent, they bear full responsibility for their actions and iCliniq bears no responsibility for the same. Information on alternative medicine should not be misinterpreted as a cure for any illness, as our body is complex and everyone reacts differently.
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.