Q. Can you recommend some supplements to reduce HbA1c?

Dr. Fatemeh Jadidi
Published on Oct 27, 2018

My HbA1c is around 6.0 %. Several years ago, it was used to be at 5.2 %. Can you recommend some supplements to reduce HbA1c?

Dr. Fatemeh Jadidi

Naturopathy
#

HbA1c level (glycated hemoglobin) goes up when your body is unable to control glucose accurately and when the insulin sensitivity is low. You have not mentioned the treatment taken for diabetes. I assume that you are prediabetic and I am giving the following instructions. You have to change your lifestyle and diet. Or else you will become prone to diabetic. Please follow these instructions to increase the sensitivity to insulin and to decrease your HbA1c.

Daily exercise improves your glycemic control and insulin resistance. You should do both strength training exercise and aerobic exercise. It helps you to reduce body fat and improves the skeletal muscle mass and strength. You should have a low GI (glycemic index) diet. You should focus on eating foods with a GI less than 55 and take fiber-rich foods such as apples, grapefruit, legumes, onions and garlic, dense, grainy bread and wholegrain cereals such as whole oats. Try to reduce taking sugary foods, processed foods, and concentrated carbohydrates.

Take a fiber-rich diet. Consume soluble fiber at least 40 grams per day. Take good sources of soluble fibers such as vegetables, oats, whole grain rice and legumes. Dietary fibers are also beneficial. Reduce taking saturated fat and increase the consumption of omega 3 rich foods and monounsaturated foods. Eat antioxidant-rich foods containing vitamin B, vitamin C, and vitamin E.

Eat foods that contain low GI, bioflavonoid and anthocyanin-rich foods such as blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, citrus fruits, and onion. Take cinnamon regularly in the diet. It helps to lower the postprandial glucose. Take 50 to 100 ml bitter melon juice containing 100-gram fruit in 100 ml. It reduces the fasting and postprandial glucose levels. Reduce taking tea and coffee. Instead, drink plenty of water. Tea and coffee inhibit the absorption of essential nutrients especially when consumed close to the meals.

Take Chromium 200 microgram per day. It helps us to have glucose control. Take Magnesium 400 mg per day. Magnesium deficiency aggravates insulin resistance. Taking a good quantity of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant supplement provide essential micronutrients. Take omega 3 fish oil 1000 mg three times a day. Take vitamin E 500 IU daily. Take Alpha-lipoic acid 600 micrograms in divided doses.

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a healthy 33 year old male. I have sex regularly and masturbate regularly. Over the years, I dabbled in penis enlargement exercises. I quit doing them a while back because I felt it was causing a damage to the penis. Recently, I used a cock ring, but for not more than ten minute...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins. In your case, it could be thrombophlebitis, but...  Read Full

Please suggest ways to control bad odor due to stomach problem.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a regular alcoholic. The problem is that I have bad smell due to stomach problem. Suggest me how to cure bad smell. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashi Verma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With little changes in diet and lifestyle, it is possible to remove the bad smell. Have food in a proper manner and always have smaller bites. Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly so that all of what you eat gets digested. Do not gulp your food. While having...  Read Full

What do HbA1c of 8 and fasting glucose of 140 signify?

Query: Hello doctor, My HbA1c is 8 and fasting glucose is 140. My urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio is 116. What do these values mean?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have diabetes because both blood sugar fasting and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) are in the diabetic ranges. You also have microalbuminuria. You have not mentioned what medications you taking because both blood sugar and microalbuminuria can be contro...  Read Full

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now