Q. What do HbA1c of 8 and fasting glucose of 140 signify?

Published on Dec 22, 2017

My HbA1c is 8 and fasting glucose is 140. My urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio is 116. What do these values mean?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

You seem to have diabetes because both blood sugar fasting and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) are in the diabetic ranges.

You also have microalbuminuria.

You have not mentioned what medications you taking because both blood sugar and microalbuminuria can be controlled with medicines.

Kindly mention what medications you are taking to make any change or modifications.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I m still not taking any medicines. But, I am going to start from today. My question is does microalbumin to creatinine ratio high. Does it mean the kidney damage is beyond control? Can it be reversed with diet and exercise? Can diabetes be reversed as my HbA1c last month was 6.5?

#

Microalbuminuria is in the initial stage of diabetic disease and can be controlled and even reversed to normal with medicines called ACE (angiotensin-converting-enzyme) inhibitors or ARB (angiotensin II receptor blockers).

Well, diabetes can be controlled with diet, exercise, and medicine.

Sometimes exercise and diet alone can control diabetes but most of the time, medicine is necessary and unlikely that it will reverse.

You may have to live with diabetes for the rest of life.

I think you should start Metformin 850 mg once with dinner from today only. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

My father and grandfather both have diabetes and they are healthy at 85. But this microalbumin to creatinine ratio at 116 level in the blood is something that I am not able to understand. I only understand that the kidneys are not working fine. Is it true? I hope my kidneys are fine. My Kidney function tests are normal except high uric acid. I hope there is nothing serious? Can this also be reversed with diet and medicine.

#

Yes, there is nothing serious at this point in time.

As I said microalbuminuria between 30 to 300 micrograms is the first step in diabetic kidney disease.

It is reversible with ACE (angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor) inhibitors and ARBs (angiotensin II receptor blockers).

So, you need not worry.

I checked my reports from last year. My HbA1c was 6.4 and even 20 days back it was 6.9. I do not know how it increased to 8 in just 20 days. Can this be reversed by any chance? Also, my sugar is 140 in the morning and in the evening after six hours of not eating it becomes 105. I fail to understand the reason.

#

It seems in the last 20 days that you have had high levels of blood glucose which has increased the HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

Even if we presume that it has shown more than expected but it is still diabetes.

Unless you start treatment you will harm yourself and will result in a long-term problem.

So, start medications as early as possible.

Also, what medicine can be taken for reducing the microalbumin to creatinine ratio? The doctor gave me Telma 40 mg. Is it for reducing the microalbumin to creatinine ratio?

#

Yes, Telma (Telmisartan) is an ARB (angiotensin II receptor blocker) and is FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved for microalbuminuria.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Also, I would like you to inform that my blood sugar now after walking for 45 minutes is 90.

#

Well, that is good. But you need not do repeated blood sugar.

It is obvious that if you take medications and exercise, the blood sugar will stay low

This is what the treatment of diabetes is.

Related Video

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Is there any medicine available to reduce fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a hypertensive and diabetic, FBS 100 to 110, PPBS 120 to 130, HbA1c 5.3 (last measured), taking Glyciphage 1 gm, Telmisartan 40, and Amlodipine 5 mg. Clinical BP 150/100, just after clinic 125/78, at home 115/75. Fatty liver II, prostrate 25 CC (no problem urinating, no burning s...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article