Q. How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Dec 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. Please help.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

A fasting blood sugar level of 247 is quite high and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) of 11 indicates uncontrolled blood sugar.

The medication that your mother is taking is not sufficient to control her blood sugar. She definitely needs a revision of her prescription.

Uncontrolled blood sugar levels can lead to inflammatory conditions that show up as body pains.

People with diabetes are also predisposed to developing frozen shoulder, which might explain her shoulder pain. She might need medication and physiotherapy for this.

Her ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is also high and it needs further evaluation. She also seems to be underweight which is characteristic of uncontrolled diabetes.

Her medication needs to be changed, but only after a complete physical examination and evaluation of laboratory parameters by a diabetes specialist.

She can probably be relieved of most of her issues once her blood sugar is controlled.

I suggest you visit a diabetes specialist at the earliest to avoid any complications.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

How to handle premature ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I ejaculate within 20 seconds of penetration. Is it curable? Suggest me some medicines for the same.  Read Full »

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now