Graves' Disease

Why does hyperthyroidism make the eyes pop out of the socket?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 51 years old and she had thyroid sometime in the past. There are no signs of it from the last one year. However, she has these bulging eyes all the time, but she can perfectly see everything with her spectacles. I do not really know what happened to her the other day. She...  Read Full »

Dr. Sankaran Mathangee

Eye Care Ophthalmologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your question, it is not mentioned if it is hypo or hyperthyroid. But the symptoms suggest it would be hyperthyroidism or Graves’ disease. I hope your mother is on medication otherwise the condition might worsen. The condition occurs due to overgrowth of t...  Read Full »

I have a dull headache. Can it be related to thyroid issue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's five months ago. My anti-TPO and anti-TG were 115 and 33 respectively. My TSH was 1.5 and FT4 1.1, so normal function. Two months ago, I started having palpitations and tested my thyroid again. TSH was 0.0018 (suppressed), FT4 2.66 and FT3 7.8. I wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have written a very detailed and engrossing history. Well done! The diagnosis of Graves' is usually made with a technetium scan of thyroid which I am not sure it was done or not. Regarding your dull ache of the head, is it present throughout the day or just morning or...  Read Full »

Can you make a diagnosis of Grave's disease from my description?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you make a diagnosis of autoimmune or other thyroid disease based on the information? I was treated. My theory is I have autoimmune thyrotoxicosis or Graves' disease. I was taking Lithium for cluster migraine prevention. When I discontinued Lithium I become very anxious in line w...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The diagnosis is correct viz hyperthyroid Graves' disease. You certainly need Methimazole for this as well as a thyroid surgery. You should not take Lithium for prolonged use. However, bearing in mind the side effects it has. But I understand you also need it for your gritt...  Read Full »

TSH and TGAB are high. Could this be Hashimoto's disease or cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done all thyroid tests and worried about the results.TSH is high at 4.56 milli international units per liter and thyroglobulin antibodies were high 2.8 IU/mL. TOP, T3, and T4 were normal; TPO 14 IU/mL and T4 free 0.95ng/dl. I am having throat pain and I feel like my glands are swo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antithyroglobulin antibody can be positive in autoimmune thyroid problem. So, it can be a positive result to have hashimoto's thyroiditis and grave's disease. But, your thyroid hormone level is within range and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) not much elevated. So,...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for Graves' disease when trying to get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister is 32 years. After her second birth, she got the problem of diffuse toxic goiter what is called Graves' disease. She is on medication for the last six years. She is on Carbimazole. But, it is not effective as when she stopped taking the medicine she suffers again from the sy...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Graves' disease treatment options are the following. Medical therapy with drugs that she is already taking. The relapse rate is very high. Radioiodine therapy which is the safest and easiest with least side effects. It does not cause infertility. Surgery - as yo...  Read Full »