Haloperidol

Which antipsychotic medicine will cause the least weight gain?

Query: Hi doctor, Which atypical antipsychotic will cause the least weight gain? Abilify is not an option as I am allergic to it. Also, Geodon or Zeldox gave me severe drowsiness to the point that I had to sleep or could not open my eyes. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Haloperidol is an antipsychotic with the least weight gain potential. If you are maintaining well on the antipsychotic which you are prescribed now, I advise you to continue taking it as discontinuation can precipitate a relapse. The medicines are prescribed based on the ...  Read Full »

Will Risperidone and Asprito affect my fetus during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two episodes of psychosis in the past two years. I started treatment with Risperidone and later started Asprito 5 mg. I am getting married after two months. I want to know that if I start a family, will this treatment affect my baby's health as only limited medicines are allowed...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are receiving only 5 mg Asprito (Aripiprazole), which is a very low dose, it is better if you stop the medication at least in the first trimester (first 3 months of pregnancy). Then, you can take medicine safely during remaining pregnancy (last 6 months). But, if...  Read Full »

I stopped taking Arip and suffering from insomnia. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,Initially, I was diagnosed to have bipolar disorder before 10 years and was cured with Lithium. Then, it relapsed before five years. So, I started to have Arip 20 mg and by last month it was tapered to 5 mg. Now, I am 8 weeks pregnant. When I got to know that I am pregnant, I was advised b...  Read Full »

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pregnancy is a high-risk period. Hence, the risk of relapse is more during pregnancy. It is advisable to take a small dose of medications throughout the pregnancy to prevent relapse. I suggest tablet Serenace 1.5 mg (Haloperidol) at night along with tablet Pacitane (Trih...  Read Full »