Q. Which antipsychotic medicine will cause the least weight gain?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Which atypical antipsychotic will cause the least weight gain? Abilify is not an option as I am allergic to it. Also, Geodon or Zeldox gave me severe drowsiness to the point that I had to sleep or could not open my eyes. Please help me.

#

• Haloperidol is an antipsychotic with the least weight gain potential.
  • If you are maintaining well on the antipsychotic which you are prescribed now, I advise you to continue taking it as discontinuation can precipitate a relapse.
  • The medicines are prescribed based on the risk-benefit ratio. Hence, if there are no major adverse effects, then I advise you to continue your prescribed medications.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|