iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)hearing problemsPlease give your valuable opinion on my child's hearing problem.

Middle ear infection due to enlarged adenoids has affected my child's hearing. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At August 19, 2020
Reviewed AtAugust 10, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Please have a look at her hearing test report and give your suggestion. Please find the patient details. Her adenoids and tonsils were removed. Due to enlarged adenoids, she got an infection in her middle ear, and she did not hear clearly. Then her middle ear was cleaned, and the tube was inserted. Again, she cannot hear clearly. A hearing test is done now, and her doctor suggested a hearing device. Do we have any other treatment, or hearing device is only the solution? I am sending you her reports. Please give your valuable opinion.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The reason why she is still not hearing properly is probably due to remnant adenoids, which could have been left behind and would have undergone compensatory hypertrophy causing the same problem for which surgery has been done. I would recommed her to use Metatop (Mometasone Furoate Monohydrate) nasal sprays two puffs in each nostril two times a day for the next three weeks. This nasal spray shrinks the adenoid tissue, which would have got inflamed and increased in size, blocking the eustachian tubes and causing the issues out there. Along with this, please apply Otrivin P (Xylometazoline Hydrochloride solution) nasal drops three drops in each nostril three times a day for one week. Avoid giving anything cold to the child, any spicy or oily food should be strictly avoided for the next six months. Please keep the ear dry and refrain from using earbuds. This is a common problem to occur, and there is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about. Please be patient, as it can take some time for the remnant adenoids to shrink in size. Adequate antibiotics will also be required if the child has any ear discharge as well. I hope I have answered your query. If there is anything more you need to enquire about, please do let us know, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Warm regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar
Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy