Hearing Problems

Kindly suggest a good quality hearing aid and medication for severe hearing loss.

Query: Sir, the patient is my father of age 88 years old. His height is 5.2m and weight around 62 kg. He is having hearing problem quite severely. He was using hearing aid machines but none of them have been working satisfactorily and gets damaged frequently. Require your help for a good quality hearing ai...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, The pure tone audiogram uploaded by you shows clearly that he has nerve related deafness in both ears and it is indeed due to his age. You seem to have taken a poor quality hearing. Please go for a better quality hearing aid. It will be costlier. Go for a bilateral hearing aid rather than f...  Read Full »

Why is my hearing in the left ear affected?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, ...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days. As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic. Now, you have to consult your ...  Read Full »

Does muffled hearing result from listening to loud music using earbuds?

Query: Hi Doctor, Im 16 years old and for the past month, I’ve been experiencing tinnitus in my left ear. For some background, I also experienced tinnitus for about 2 weeks a few months back. When it started, I was listening to music louder than I should have during a good part (about 80%) and I fel...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi Icliniq user , Atleast am happy that you are now not crossing the warning sign while listening to music. Step-1. Don't use earphones for taking calls and music , use it in speaker mode and at moderate volume. Step-2 . Sometimes Puretone Audiometry (hearing test) doesn't reveal the intial...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my hearing problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am having trouble with my left ear hearing. But, I never took much care to sort it. Lately, I found it is little awkward. I am having an old audiogram result with me. Please look through it and tell your advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an almost nil hearing in the left ear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your right ear is normal. So, all your hearing is through right ear and problem you already have is difficulty in localizing speech other than hearing loss. Unilateral heari...  Read Full »

What should I do to my blocked ear due to a hit?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. Yesterday, I got hit on my ear and it is blocked. The sound is not going inside, and I am hearing a lot of air sound. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What do you mean by air sounds? Do you hear noises, or is there any ringing of the ears? Since you have hearing impairment following a slap, there are two possibilities. One is there may be trauma to the eardrum, which might have perforated with consequent hearing ...  Read Full »

What causes sudden hearing loss with severe ear pain?

Query: I have a sudden hearing loss all that i can hear in my right ear is what i can only describe as blood pumping like a pulsating, however i have a lot of pain with it as well.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! A sudden sensorineural hearing loss occuring with 24 hrs is a medical emergency and has to be evaluated and treated accordingly. Any treatment initiated after 48hrs becomes less usefull and doest bring desired results even with full course of treatment and hence its vital that you get yourself ...  Read Full »

Please give your valuable opinion on my child's hearing problem.

Query: Please have a look on her hearing test Report and give your suggestion. Please find the Patient details. Her Adenoids and Tonsils were removed. Due to Enlarged Adenoids she got infection in her middle ear and she was not hearing clearly. Then her middle ear was cleaned and the tube was inserted. Ag...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! The reason why she is still not hearing properly is probably due to remnant adenoids which could have been left behind and would have umdergone compensatory hypertrophy causing the same problem for which surgery has been done. I would recommed her to use metatop nasal sprays 2 puffs in each nos...  Read Full »

Will cleaning ears result in increased hearing and sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 15 years old. I am really worried. I got my ears cleaned just the other day, so my ears would find some sound a bit louder and clearer right? I was at a funeral just yesterday, and the drums were very loud my ears felt a little tired after I left but they got better. In the evening,...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The above mentioned is noise-induced trauma to ear. Hence excessive-high pitch sounds might temporarily increase the sensitivity of your ears. Hence very good precautions to be followed. Volume of earphones should not be greater than 70%. Avoid using earphones for...  Read Full »

How is hearing loss due to Amikacin injection treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is the cause for the hearing loss confirmed? Have other causes been ruled out? How many doses of aminoglycosides have been taken? What is the severity of hearing loss? Does your father have any tinnitus or reeling sensation? What is the report of audiometry? Is your f...  Read Full »

What are the causes of hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full »