Hearing Problems

When there is hearing damage due to high sound, will the same sound level hurt it again?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about hearing. Firstly, I am aware that hearing loss takes place when the tiny hair cells within the inner ear are damaged. My question is, once a particular hair has been damaged, will the same sound level that previously damaged it, hurt it again? For example, if yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is something called a temporary threshold shift and permanent hearing loss. Temporary loss is the loss which if a sudden burst of sound and you get hearing loss as hair cells are fatigued however hearing regains soon in some time. If it is a permanent loss that...  Read Full »

What are the causes and treatment of hypochondroplasia?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's son has been diagnosed with hypochondroplasia. He is 11 months old. His height is 50 cm and weight is approximately 5 kg. Kindly suggest the best treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypochondroplasia is a rare and genetically inherited condition. It involves the skeletal system, and the child's height and weight are definitely low. And birth history (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also suggests some abnormality. What about the pare...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any other way to treat hearing loss in a kid?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep V R

Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Alread...  Read Full »

Can noise exposure at a young age lead to delayed onset NIHL later in life?

Query: Hi doctor, I want you to review a portion of a medical report and put it in layman's term. I am specifically hoping that this report confirms my suspicion that the effects of noise exposure at younger ages can lead to delayed onset of noise-induced hearing loss later in life. The document contains ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, I can. Please attach the report here. Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full »

My hearing is muffled after a noise-induced hearing loss incident. Will it ever get better?

Query: Hello doctor, I experienced a noise-induced hearing loss incident three days ago by firing a couple of shots from a rifle without using ear plugs. I went to see a doctor. He confirmed that my eardrums were not ruptured and prescribed 20 mg of Prednisone. As of now, my hearing is still muffled, loud...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We must continue the course of steroids (Prednisone). With time, we do hope that the hearing returns. It is hard to predict how much of an improvement you will have. It depends on the intensity of the sound that you exposed your ears to while firing. Since the duration...  Read Full »

Please suggest ayurveda treatment for hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old man having diagnosed with a bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. I have been experiencing this for the last two months. Please suggest any ayurveda treatment for the same?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As it is a physiological degradation disease, the treatment falls into two categories pharmacological and surgical treatment. However, no recommended or approved treatment has been present, and many types of research are still going on. Hearing aids are the most common...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned. In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatm...  Read Full »

I have hearing loss due to piston in the ear. Please check my audiogram results.

Query: Hello doctor, I got a piston in the right ear 30 years ago. I am 58 years old and 84 kg weight. I feel hard to hear now. I have attached my recent audiogram result details for your reference.  Read Full »

Dr. Noble Inasu

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the available information, it seems to me that you might have a condition called otosclerosis. Otosclerosis is a condition in which there is abnormal bone growth in the ear which prevents the sound vibrations from being conducted adequately from the external ear to...  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of tinnitus is usually idiopathic. Every normal person can hear that sound many times in their lives. It goes away as suddenly as it had started. There is no reason for worrying as you have no hearing loss. So relax, do not worry as these kinds of tinnitus...  Read Full »

What can be done for age-related hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,My 68 year old mother has a hearing problem. I understand it is due to her age but is there any device which can enhance the hearing in her case?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are various causes for hearing problems. Among them, the most common one is an age-related hearing loss known as presbycusis. If hearing loss is significant and confirmed by an audiological examination such as pure tone audiogram, she can use hearing aids. Hear...  Read Full »