Common "Hearing Problems" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Hearing Problems

Hearing loss can be partial or complete. It is termed profound deafness. In the partial hearing loss, the intensity of the sound needs to be raised for an individual to hear. The three types of hearing loss are conductive, sensorineural, and mixed. In conductive hearing loss, the sounds fail to transfer from the outer to the inner ear. Problems with the auditory nerve, cochlea, brain, and inner ear cause sensorineural hearing loss. Mixed hearing loss involves both conductive and sensorineural hearing losses.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

How does presbycusis differ from other types of hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have observed changes in my hearing, particularly with higher-pitched sounds. I have read about presbycusis being linked to aging. Could you provide more information about this condition and suggest ways to manage it? Kindly help. Thank you.   Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hi Welcome to I understand your concern. Presbycusis, also known as age-related hearing loss, is a natural process that affects many individuals as they age. It typically occurs gradually and affects the ability to perceive high-pitched sounds first. Here's some information on presbycu...  Read Full »

Can the loud noise that caused my hearing loss worsen the damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about hearing. Firstly, I am aware that hearing loss takes place when the tiny hair cells within the inner ear are damaged. My question is, once a particular hair has been damaged, will the same sound level that previously damaged it, hurt it again? For example, if yo...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There is something called a temporary threshold shift and permanent hearing loss. Temporary loss is the loss which if a sudden burst of sound and you get hearing loss as hair cells are fatigued however hearing regains soon in some time. If it is a permanent loss that...  Read Full »

I experienced sudden tinnitus. Kindly check MRI and suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I developed tinnitus all of a sudden last year. I am attaching the last year MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) images for your evaluation. Of late, I have some muscle pull in my calves. I am waiting for your evaluation.  Read Full »

Dr. Hardik Nareshbhai Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have analyzed your MRI images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are age-related minor changes in the scan. But nothing is alarming in the scan. The tinnitus which you have can be because of isolated eighth nerve or inner ear involvement.Do you have...  Read Full »

My niece has hearing loss. What is the best treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, My niece is 4 years old now. A year back we realized that she was not catching up how to speak and consulted an ENT doctor. Doctor performed few tests like BERA, OAE and hearing assessment. Then he confirmed that my niece is suffering from profound hearing loss. Doctor suggested hearing a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pradeep. V. R

Answer: Hi,Welcome to (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly explains about the problems. I clearly understand your concern and worries. You are worried about the cosmetic appearance but you are missing about the importance of normal speech and hearing in life. Already ...  Read Full »

Can speech and vocal issues be linked to early-onset hearing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if speech and vocal issues can be linked to early-onset hearing loss or hearing problems. I am wondering if our diagnosis of vocal nodules from vocal abuse actually is stemming from overcompensating to hear at a normal volume.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Peerzada Tehmid Ul Haque

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Well, the development of speech is definitely related to hearing. Early-onset hearing loss does impair the development of speech as it is known that congenitally deaf are also mute. Regarding the other part, vocal abuse is in fact the only cause of vocal nodules. So te...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment option to get relief from impacted wax present in ears.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male with a weight of 63 kilograms and a height of five feet. I have decreased hearing in both ears. I think that there is a wax formation and it blocks the ways. Please suggest an ear drop to get relief.   Read Full »

Dr. Bhadragiri Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You can have impacted wax. This causes extreme frustration and blocks the entire ear canal. This results in pain and decreased hearing. Try to follow these measures to have relief. Stop using earbuds at any cost. It can introduce a new infection in the ear canal and cause...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a good quality hearing aid and medication for severe hearing loss.

Query: Sir, the patient is my father of age 88 years old. His height is 5.2m and weight around 136.68 lb. He is having hearing problem quite severely. He was using hearing aid machines but none of them have been working satisfactorily and gets damaged frequently. Require your help for a good quality hearin...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, The pure tone audiogram uploaded by you shows clearly that he has nerve related deafness in both ears and it is indeed due to his age. You seem to have taken a poor quality hearing. Please go for a better quality hearing aid. It will be costlier. Go for a bilateral hearing aid rather than f...  Read Full »

Why have I got tinnitus after sinusitis infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I was seen at Emergency Care and diagnosed with a sinus infection. My eardrums were red and there was fluid behind them. I was prescribed to have Zithromycin 250 mg (Z-pak), which I have been taking. Now, four days later, my left ear is completely plugged, and the right ear is somewhat...  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Since you had sinusitis,it is very likely that the infection has spread to your ear which is causing the blocking sensation. I would also like to know whether you are suffering from tinnitus for long? Have you had age-related hearing loss earlier as well? Do you have ear ...  Read Full »

I have been having hearing loss which I noticed while asking people to repeat themselves often especially in noisy environments. Should I see a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having hearing loss. I have been noticing that I have to ask people to repeat themselves more often, and I have difficulty understanding conversations in noisy environments. I am worried about my hearing, and I am going to see a doctor to get it checked out. Kindly give your sugges...  Read Full »

Dr. Chibitam Hope Obia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and understand your concern. Regarding your symptoms of hearing loss, you have the following diagnosis: hearing impairment due to nerve conduction. Have you had any ear discharge, injury, family history of hearing loss, upper respiratory infectio...  Read Full »

I have ear trouble with left ear fluid, persistent hissing noise, difficulty hearing, and cracking when blowing my nose. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently experiencing trouble with my ear. Specifically, my left ear seems to have fluid accumulation. I have started taking a second round of steroids, starting with a dose of 60 mg for five days and then gradually tapering down. For the past five days, I was on a less effective...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Peerzada Tehmid Ul Haque

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Based on your description, it is possible that you are suffering from serous or secretory otitis media. If available, it would be helpful if you could attach the pure tone and impedance audiogram for further evaluation. In the meantime, I recommend the following: 1. ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.