Q. What can cause heavy menstrual flow with late secretary endometrium?

Dr. Deepali Raina
Published on Jan 01, 2019

I am 40 years old. I have been suffering from heavy menstrual flow for the past 11 to 12 months. I had a heavy flow with clots for the last two months. Now, I have been menstruating for the past 10 days with heavy flow and clots. It started exactly at the cycle period date and continued for five days and again on the seventh day, it started again with heavy flow. I have had a cyst, high levels of prolactin which have been treated during this period. Last month my doctor recommended the endometrium biopsy but the report was normal and the diagnosis was late secretary endometrium. My current medications include Ovuloc, Femilon, Meprate 10 mg two times a day, Iron tablet, and pause MF (on SOS basis). Can you please advice?

Dr. Deepali Raina

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your biopsy report is good. The medicines you are taking are also good. But instead of taking hormones daily I recommend that you put in a hormone-releasing intrauterine device called Mirena. That remains in your uterus without problem. Delivers the hormones where they are actually needed, cutting down the side effects of excessive hormone intake plus you get rid of the daily responsibility of taking your pills. However, as per the ultrasound finding of a bulky uterus, you may have adenomyosis which is causing this abnormal uterine bleeding. Adenomyosis is a condition that affects the wall of your uterus. Unfortunately, it does not respond well to hormonal treatment. Please get an MRI of the pelvis done. If that shows adenomyosis you may still try Mirena but if that is ineffective, you may even need surgery.

I have irregular heavy bleeding. Is something wrong with my uterus?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I had my normal period last week and it lasted for 7 days. Then three days after this it started again and was really heavy.This happens almost every month. Is something wrong with my uterus?  Read Full »

Is there any cure for adenomyosis in Siddha?

Query: Hello doctor,Any cure for adenomyosis in Siddha? I am 37 and had two miscarriages and two ectopic. Only left tube is available and both the ovaries are normal. I am suffering from adenomyosis. Please advise Siddha medicine.  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »