Hemilaminectomy

Can my back pain be due to the tethered spinal cord?

Query: Hello doctor, It is about nine months since I have had L4 hemilaminectomy, L5 foraminotomy and drilling of bone fracture at L4-L5 level. I had an MRI two months later due to severe pain. The MRI report presented inflammation and edema of the back muscles, inflammation of nerve roots, compressi...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tethered cord is a result of fibrosis and inflammation. Your symptoms of back pain and weakened bowel and bladder movements could be explained with the tethered cord.  ...  Read Full »

Why does my friend have numbness after hemilaminectomy surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am inquiring for a friend who underwent L4 - L5 hemilaminectomy surgery. He is recovering except for the persistent numbness, pins and needles and swelling in his left foot. It is more pronounced in the afternoon to evening. He is a teacher by profession. He has reported this to h...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It sounds like your friend is bothered by the persistent tingling and numbness in his left foot. I understand these sensations can be quite irritating, especially if your work involves standing for long periods. Did he have these tingling sensations in the same areas befo...  Read Full »