Hgh Deficiency

Is hypothyroidism the leading cause of growth retardation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old, and I have beta-thalassemia minor and hypothyroidism. Is it possible that hypothyroidism could have stunted my height at the age of 16 when I diagnosed with it? My question is whether my growth plates have fused? (Here are pictures of the left elbow and left knee). ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sruti Chandrasekaran

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to get some more information from you before answering this question. 1. How tall are you now? 2. How tall are your parents and siblings? 3. How controlled is your thyroid? 4. Is your TSH (Thyroid-stimulating hormone) normal in your current dose? Kindly get...  Read Full »

Can masturbation cause muscle twitches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from muscle twitches, joint pain and extreme body weakness for over three to four months. My skin has become dry. My finger knuckles has got black pigmentation. My neurologist tells me that my reflexes are normal. I have a history of masturbation from my teenage and I als...  Read Full »

Dr. Neelakanta J Sajjanar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand from your complaints and history, the condition is at the level of functional or metabolic derangement. All your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) indicate that you are structurally normal. The functional aspect of body need...  Read Full »

Does a 11 year old require growth hormone therapy for height increase?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 11 years, weight 33 kg, height 134 cm, father's height 165 cm, mother's height 155 cm. The increment in height in the last 2 years was 4 cm/year. Does he need growth hormone therapy? What are the investigations needed?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravikiran M

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son's height falls just below the 10th percentile of height for age (WHO standard). Given that your height (parents' height) is in low to mid normal range compared to the average height of the population at large, your son's height is not lagging behind that far. ...  Read Full »

What test should I do to know if I am HGH deficient?

Query: Dear doctor, I want to test myself for HGH deficiency. Can you tell me a complete guide on how should I proceed? What tests should I do? After I have done them, can I post it here for a thorough examination from your doctors, so that they can tell me whether I am HGH deficient? I want to test that...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravikiran M

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to check IGF1 level (insulin-like growth factor 1), liver function and kidney function tests and hemoglobin level. Also please take an x-ray of your left elbow and left knee joint AP view (anteroposterior view) to assess the bone age, and to check whether ends ...  Read Full »

Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have attached images of the latest x-ray imaging (attachment removed to protect user identity). I have taken this x-ray to determine my bone age, reason is that I had planned on using growth hormone therapy to help me grow taller. I was told that these bone age imaging of the wrist is...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hand x-ray for bone age is really meant for paediatric age determination (i.e, upto 12 years). You need to provide a few details to know if HGH will work for you or not. What is your current height? What is the height of your parents?  You really need the Risser's sign...  Read Full »