Q. Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear Doctor,

I have attached images of the latest x-ray imaging (attachment removed to protect user identity). I have taken this x-ray to determine my bone age, reason is that I had planned on using growth hormone therapy to help me grow taller.

I was told that these bone age imaging of the wrist is not enough to determine whether a 19 year old will grow any taller, as the maximum age they can predict is up to 19 years, which is my age at present.

I was told that a pelvic imaging is best for people above the age of 19 years. 

My question is on seeing the images, can you please tell if HGH will work for me?

If not then, should I consider a pelvic x-ray to help determine whether growth hormone will work for me?

#

• Hand x-ray for bone age is really meant for paediatric age determination (i.e, upto 12 years).
  • You need to provide a few details to know if HGH will work for you or not.
  • What is your current height?
  • What is the height of your parents? 
  • You really need the Risser's sign done on an x-ray pelvis which will confirm presence of open physis.
  • However considering you are 19 years, you will be on Rissers 3 at the least and likely the hood of bone growth left is minimal.

Hope it helps.

My height is 5'8". So do you claim that there is still any chance that I can grow? And can the same be said for the validity of an x-ray for my knees/elbow in the same sense of wrists that they only tell the bone age for young patients.

Overall is there any chance that HGH will work for me?

#

• X-ray of knee tells whether any growth potential is left in your knees or not.
  • This is where most of the growth in height takes place from (actually upto 60 % of your total height is contributed by growth plates in your knee bones). 
  • Once femur and tibia have fused, very little height increase is expected and whatever height gain seen after this is from vertebral end plates and the contribution in height by these will be quite less.
  • HGH (Human Growth Hormone) works best while knee plates are open
  • For you, get both knee and pelvis x-rays and I could be in a better position to help you with your query regarding the role of HGH.

If you have any further questions, feel free to consult an Endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|