Hormonal Therapy

Hormonal therapy is also called endocrine therapy or hormonal withdrawal therapy. It is a form of systemic therapy where the drug is administered into the body. Hormonal therapy is used in treating cancer that uses hormones to grow, such as prostate and breast cancer. It helps to stop the growth of it. They are used in combination with other treatments of cancer, such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy. The frequently used hormonal therapy drugs are Abiraterone, Anastrozole, and Exemestane.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am taking hormonal medication for my PCOD and thyroid issue, but failing to conceive. Will it be successful if I stop the medication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female. I got married 9 years back but planned not to have a baby for a year. I have not taken any pills while having intercourse. But used to have regular sex using protection. We are planning for a baby for 6 years. My report says I have PCOD and my thyroid is 7 %....  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and can understand your concern. Krimson tablets (Ethinyl Estradiol and Cyproterone) can help you bring back the hormonal balance but the key to conception shall be timely ovulation which is important, and hence would need to be monitored during the c...  Read Full »

What is hormone replacement therapy?

Query: Hello doctor, I take Clorazepate, Quetiapine, Akineton (Biperiden), Ludiomil (Maprotiline) and Lyrica (Pregabalin). I am wondering whether I can go ahead with hormone replacement therapy which includes Estrogen and Spironolactone.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara. P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know first for what purpose you are on these medicines? What is your purpose of planning to go for hormone replacement?   Read Full »

Can taking hormonal pills for perimenopause symptoms cause breast cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female who is dealing with perimenopause symptoms. My Ob-gyn has recommended taking low dose of birth control pills to relieve my symptoms. However, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer because my late mother (who died in an auto accident) was a breast cancer sur...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is really sad to hear about your mother but I would like to add into your information that evidence suggests that HRT does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. It is only contraindicated if the person taking HRT has breast cancer already. Second...  Read Full »

My gynecologist prescribed hormonal medication and Metformin after I got diagnosed with PCOD. Can I take any alternative medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I had complaints of irregular periods, hair loss, acne, and increased hair growth over the chin. I consulted a nearby gynecologist who told me it will most probably be PCOD and therefore prescribed an OCP and asked to take a pelvic scan for confirmation. I took the s...  Read Full »

Dr. Usha Sadanand Rao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and can understand your concern. Yes, the medication to regularise periods is the OCP (oral contraceptives) and you can start taking them. In addition, try to lose some weight. Just losing 5 % of your weight sometimes helps in regularising the periods...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to get wet and or feel sexual pleasure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female. Actually, my problem is I do not get wet, and I do not experience any sexual feeling whatever I watch or whatever I do (I mean sexual act or masturbation). Why is it so?  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand what you are going through at present. Sexuality is such a topic that most of the people especially females do not discuss. Due to the stigma attached, they do not even come out with their sexual problems. So, I would like to appreciate your initiati...  Read Full »

My sister's report shows 46, XY chromosome. What does this mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 18 years old, and she has never had periods. Recently, we did a test which said, 46, XY (20), 20 cells were counted, all cells showed 46 chromosomes. Small chromosomal anomalies and small clonal population may not be detected using the standard methods employed. Could you pl...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? This is a tough condition to explain, but let me try. 46 chromosomes mean the total number of chromosomes is normal. For a normal female, the sex chromosome should be "XX". "XY" means male. So, your sibling who is looking as or phenotypically female ...  Read Full »

Is the lump in breast cancer or cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, I found a lump in my breast five months back. Initially, it was told to be a cyst. I followed up after four weeks, and the cyst was unchanged. My PCP recommended a needle biopsy to be safe. My surgeon felt more comfortable with a lumpectomy because I have a family history of thyroid tu...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports. It looks like early breast cancer, and it is predominantly a cystic lesion. It is staged as pT1c Nx hormone receptor-positive and HER2/neu negative. Histopathology is showing low-risk breast cancer as it is predominantly a cystic lesion with a pr...  Read Full »

Would hormone therapy shrink a large breast tumor in a 79 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a patient who is female, 79 years and has a large breast tumor. Rather than giving chemotherapy, I personally would like her to try out hormone therapy. Would hormone therapy shrink a large tumor? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hormone therapy will shrink the hormone-sensitive mass, but by how much is difficult to predict. It is really helpful if the patient has poor performance status and significant comorbidities.   Read Full »

Is it good to take Ovasafe and Duphaston while planning for pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old and got married a year ago. I had a problem with water bubbles formed up in my uterus and causing irregular periods. I used Folvite and Cystelia 35 for three months. Now, the doctor has given the following tablets and informed that I could get pregnant if I use those...  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These medications are very safe. I suggest you Folic acid supplements, as it has to be taken three months before planning to for pregnancy. You can discontinue Ovasafe and Duphaston till you want to plan for pregnancy. But, you can continue Folic acid supplements. Even if...  Read Full »

What should I do to get regular periods with PCOS?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from PCOS and have not had my periods for the last five months. I am already obese and a hypothyroid patient. I have started reducing my weight for the last two weeks with workouts and diet. The thing is that I got married last year, but as I was in a long relationship wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. Your reports are normal except for low serum vitamin D levels. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is also at the borderline level. Suppose necessary, we need to increase the Levothyroxine dosage...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.