Q. I am a 25 year old male. My body looks feminine. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Deepika Gorthy and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Feminine Body or Hormonal Imbalance? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: I am a 25 year old male. My body looks feminine. Please help.

Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old male. I am 181 cm tall and I weigh 70 kg. All the members in my family are tall, but I am not that big when compared to my father and brother. I am mentally depressed since my childhood. It is all about my body. I was a female looking boy with very soft body, less energy and not interested in sports. Since that time my arms and legs are very long. But arms are very lean as girls.

My puberty was too late at around 18 years of age. But after puberty, I have hair on face, but till now it is not much as my brother had in that age. Facial hair is also thin and not uniform everywhere.

I feel my bones are like females and not very strong, arms and fingers are not as big as males. My muscles are less too. I went for gym and built up a little muscle, but forearm and fingers are still feminine. I feel my waist is a little wide.

Did I have any genetic problem or hormonal imbalance at puberty stage? I am totally exhausted. I am always worried about that. Please help me.

Related Questions:
Preimplantation Genetic diagnosis
Protein Supplements - Yes or No?
Why do I have pain in my hand and finger joints?

Dr. Deepika Gorthy
Family Physician, Microbiology


Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand your anxiety. Based on the description which you have given, there could be a possibility of Klinefelter syndrome. This condition can be seen in about one in 600 boys. A normal male will have a chromosomal pattern of XY. However, in case of Klinefelter syndrome, there would be an extra X chromosome which would have happened randomly during the formation of the egg or sperm, or after the baby boy had conceived.

The extra chromosome is not inherited. So, this condition does not run in families. The adult male body may not be able to produce enough testosterone, the hormone responsible for the development of male characteristics. There may be low energy and sex drive, lack of muscle and too much body fat around the waist.

Most men with this condition lead normal lives and also have normal relationships. A few boys with condition may feel shy and may have low levels of self confidence. They may grow quickly than usual and may become taller than other family members.

The testicles may be smaller than normal and may not produce enough of the sex hormone testosterone. This may lead to features such as:

  • A flabby body with low muscle tone (female looking body).
  • A reduced amount of facial and body hair.
  • Small, firm testicles and a small penis.
  • Enlarged breasts.
  • Reduced calcium in the bones.
  • Fertility issues (due to production of less number of sperms).

This condition can be diagnosed by:

  • Complete physical examination by a doctor.
  • Performing a blood test to look for the abnormal hormone levels.
  • A genetic test to look for the extra X chromosome, which again is a blood test.

It is advisable to get treat early in order to avoid further fertility issues. Treatment options available are:

  • Testosterone replacement therapy.
  • Physiotherapy to improve physical fitness.

A definitive diagnosis can be made only after a complete physical examination and after performing laboratory tests. Visiting an endocrinologist at the earliest would be advisable.

Consult an endocrinologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist


Thank you doctor,

I already consulted an endocrinologist and he tested my testicles and said it is normal and I am normal. I also said about XXY syndrome. He said everything is normal and there is no problem at all. But, if I see my body especially my hand that makes me disappointed.


Dr. Deepika Gorthy
Family Physician, Microbiology


Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have already consulted an endocrinologist, and as you have undergone all the investigations to rule out Klinefelter syndrome, I see no point in you worrying.

Just like how no two fingers are the same, no two males or no two females will look the same. There might be slight variation in the physical appearance of a few persons. A few females may have masculine features and a few males may have feminine features which may be quite normal.

But such differences should not hamper ones self confidence and self esteem. Now as you know that there is no chromosomal abnormality, I suggest you to overcome the complex that you have feminine features and try to build self confidence.

Try to ward off the inferiority complex and focus more on your personal and professional development and also try to get more active physically by involving in sports, aerobics, gym, dancing, etc.

Also try to read a few motivational stories and try to gain the support of your family members too. For the benefit of doubt, you may get your testosterone levels checked once again.

For further queries, get back to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Can the lump under my male breast be cancerous?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. My complaint is that I have a breast lump in my right breast lower outer quadrant. I noticed it three days ago. I have pain at that site. I also noticed redness in the surrounding areas. I have poor beard growth and chest hair so I suspect that it could be gyn...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most probably it is gynecomastia as it is common in young age and may cause pain, Although, breast cancer is rare in males, it is more aggressive with rapid growth and spread. I suggest that you take painkillers and send me a photo of the red lump Also if you have...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

Sepsis - Causes|Symptoms|Risk Factors|Diagnoses|Treatments|Prevention
Sepsis is a medical emergency, as it causes multiple organ failure. When the body's response to infection in the blood s...  Read more »
I have on and off acid reflux as well as mild dysphagia. Is this esophageal cancer?
Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have been experiencing on and off acid reflux for a few weeks as well as mild dy...  Read more »
There is a hard lump under the nipple. I am afraid of breast cancer. How to proceed further?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an...  Read more »